Falling Like Raindrops

Tommy wanted to ignore his communicator when it buzzed in his pocket. He had two loads of laundry left to go through, plus three rooms to clean. Sam was out to collect materials to fix the kitchen because apparently, Drunkard decided to officially hire (probably scam) Sam to renovate the kitchen. Tommy didn't need the added stress of a phone call from a telemarketer. Except... it wasn't a telemarketer.

Tommy has specific vibrations in place for each person saved on his communicator. Recently, he added Jack, his coworker, and the rhythm being played in his pocket was from Jack. Tommy wanted to ignore it even more now, but he pulled the communicator out to speak with Jack. "What's up, mate?"

"Tommy, get to the roof. Immediately," Jack said as soon as he knew Tommy was listening on the other side. He sounded desperate and upset.

"I don't have time for your bullshit, Jack. I have work to do," Tommy said with an eye roll. Why did Jack need him on the roof? There was nothing up there except an ashtray where Jack occasionally smoked a cigarette. He didn't smoke often but enough times for an ashtray to be needed.

"Tommy, I'm serious. The boss is up here, and he's about to do something terrible," Jack snapped at Tommy. The blonde huffed a sigh, leaving the clothes around the bins to trot towards the elevator. Tommy let the box carry him all the way up after hanging up on Jack.

"You better not be shitting with me, Jack!" Tommy yelled as he rounded the corner from the elevator to the main part of the roof. As expected, Jack was there, looking between Tommy and Drunkard, who was standing right by the edge. Unexpectedly, Fran was being held by the fur around her neck by Drunkard, and she was whimpering softly. "What the hell?! Let her go!"

"So, this was you?! Huh?! Think you can make a fool of me? Think you can let some bitch in without my permission? Wanna play goddamn hero?!" Drunkard yelled out, slamming his hand down so the brown bottle he carried around shattered against the roof at Jack's feet. The man yelped as shards cut against his skin, stumbling back.

"What the fuck has gotten into you?" Tommy shouted at Drunkard as he slid between Jack and him. Tommy snarled at the man. "You don't need to be a moron, alright? Fran hasn't hurt anyone. She has proven that she can stay. Plus, isn't Sam getting you more profit? Let this go if you know what's good for your wallet."

"Wouldn't you know all about that? I bet your his fucking slut. I bet you thought that since I don't pay you or whatever bullshit sob story you tell people, you'd sell your body like some whore," Drunkard yelled right back at Tommy. His breath alone told Tommy he was wasted. His trembling body was sign two. His fighting spirit that knew no bounds was sign three.

"I don't know where that idea came from, but that isn't true in the slightest," Tommy clarified. "I'm underaged. The most illegal shit I do is drugs."

"That's right. I'm the only person that would give you a job. I deserve a medal for the compassion I've shown you two lousy pieces of shit," Drunkard declared with a laugh as he gestured wildly to Tommy and Jack.

"Maybe if mirrors didn't break when you looked in them, you would know who the real lousy piece of shit is," Tommy snarled in response, feeling oddly defensive of Jack. They weren't close friends, barely acquaintances, but they shared a bond that came from working with each other that Tommy felt the need to protect.

"Final straw. I'll show you what the fuck happens when you disrespect me," Drunkard said with a twisted smirk and dark eyes. Drunkard lifted his arm. Fran yelled in protested as she was lifted by her neck. Drunkard made a move to throw Fran off the roof.

Tommy raced forwards in an instant. He leaped off the roof, arms encircling Fran, twisting their bodies so his back was to the ground. Tommy closed his eyes. His power suppression bracelet stung against his wrist as Tommy tried with all his might to jumpstart his ability in time to save Fran.

Instead, Tommy's back hit the alley with a resounding thud. He bounced twice before gravity let him rest against the rocky gravel. His spine sent shockwaves all around his body, and his lungs burned painfully as they tried to breathe when his ribs were no doubt puncturing them. Tommy's arms fell from Fran's body, everything in him giving up to the pain. Tommy tried to whisper reassurance to the whimpering Fran, but all he could do was wheeze tiredly. Tommy couldn't feel any rain, but a warm liquid was soaking into his shirt.

Would it be okay if he...

"Tommy!"