St. Elmo's Fire

It was never quiet. There was always people running around, talking to each other, or messing with the Redstone and other gear. Even at the deepest parts of the night, laughter floated down the halls paired with snoring and hushed whispers. If one strained their ears while peering out the windows, they could probably hear animals like cicadas or owls.

He laid on his bed, sheet wrapped around his body to keep him warm. He heard the door slide open before it closed once more. The person who came inside released a long drawn out sigh as they closed the curtains. The person plopped down onto a seat. He could hear the person splash some water around before the person stood up. They walked over to the bed, opening the curtain around it.

It was a woman with platinum blonde hair and silvery blue eyes. They wore a simple white dress that went down to her knees. The boy stared up at her with wide eyes as she sat down at the edge of the bed. The woman looked down at her pale hands. She turned her gaze to the boy with a deep frown against her lips. "Our chance is coming soon. Are you prepared?"

The boy nodded as he looked at his suitcase hidden under the sink. It was packed with all his belongings, from his clothes to the few toys he was allowed. Next to his suitcase was the woman's. Her suitcase was bigger in size, but like the boy, she was able to fit her entire life in that small bag.

"Good. If anything goes wrong, it will not be our own fault," The woman said with a firm nod. "I have planned this for my entire life. Should things not be in our favor, I will know that it was through no misjudgment of mine."

The boy nodded along. Instead of bedtime stories, he was prepped on this woman's plans for as long as he could remember. He was more of a tool to be used than her biological son, but he didn't mind when she spoke so passionately about her plan. It would be foolish to think that even if he was a tool, he wouldn't be getting anything from this exchange. The woman had enhanced his body and unlocked his powers. That would be enough to ensure his safety.

"Together. We leave at dawn. No more jobs, no more hustling, no more stealing and killing. It will be you and me, no one else, and we will find a life that we want," The woman assured the boy as she wrapped him tighter in the blankets. "May Prime be with us."

——

Tommy's eyes snapped open as the sun peeked through the window. He sat up slowly, rubbing his head as he recalled his dream. Well, it was a memory, not a dream, but that didn't matter to Tommy. It was unwanted all the same.

He turned to look at the clock. He decided that it was late enough that Niki wouldn't scold him for waking up before the world had. Tommy got dressed rather quickly to go to work. Purpled was asleep still, and Drista was hanging off the chair in a way that would make her upset when she woke up. Tommy rolled his eyes as he left the apartment.

——
Me:

——Me: