Hurricane

Anger was a powerful force, but not in the way people thought. Anger wasn't some ignition of a burning, vengeful fire. It was being trapped in a burning house, all alone, not knowing who set the fire but knowing someone wanted you in there to die. It was a helplessness that came with desperately trying to pull through what held you back, but someone was there, being the chains that you thought you had shed. It was what singed your skin, the smoke that suffocated you until your vision blackened.

Tommy was upset with Tubbo and Ranboo. Maybe they weren't using him. Maybe they were real friends at some point. That didn't matter. They couldn't be friends again. Not when Tommy was part Tempest, and the two were already illegal vigilantes who were close with the Syndicate's leaders. Tommy knew in the beginning that the relationship wouldn't last, but it stung to think that this was how it ended. Tommy thought he would slowly cut them off, start showing up less and less while keeping them at arm's length. He didn't think they would be ripped away from him that soon or quickly. Tommy wasn't a hero yet. They could have been friends for much longer. Tommy probably could have revealed who he was. He could have been like Michael's uncle as he grew up. Now, that would never happen. Tommy wouldn't let it. They became his enemies first, Tommy told himself.

That was the worst part of betrayal. The reason it hurt was because you cared about the other person even though they had hurt you. Tommy had almost lost life, but he continued to wish Royal was his friend like he was before the accident. Tommy wished he could have gone back to being oblivious to the fact that Tubbo and Ranboo were part of the Syndicate. Even if they were hurting people, Tommy wouldn't have to give them up. He had lost Tubbo once. He didn't know if he could do it again. Tommy supposed he had already lost Tubbo this time, too. It wasn't his fault this time, though.

Tommy fell onto his couch. His apartment smelled like salt water and roses. Puffy, Niki, and Hannah had been gone for an entire day, yet their fragrance lingered behind like a ghost. Tommy wondered if they were going to betray him, too. Tommy laughed humorlessly as he picked up the remote to his TV. Wilbur had given him this, and Tommy had barely used it. He learned how to work the buttons since his job was currently on break while Sam was remodeling. Tommy wished the hotel would open back up. He could really use the distraction of work from all his current problems.

Tommy stared at the news, his eyes drooping as the man droned on about a bird migration. Tommy's eyes shot open as the next segment on the news channel came onto the screen. Tommy fell off the couch as he crawled closer to the television screen.

'I don't know if you know what's happening...'

'... when he learned of what Dream was doing.'

"Can you believe how popular Dream's new sidekick has become? He's already a remarkable individual, but he has been showing his skills as a hero," The woman said as they showed a picture of the new guy. He was smiling kindly, something Tommy had never been able to do before for the camera. He was standing by Dream's side, the both of them waving while standing in front of captured villains. Tommy was enraptured by what he saw. The compliments of the anchormen were running through Tommy's head. There wasn't a single mention of Tempest, the former hero forgotten by everyone. Including Dream.

Tommy's fist slammed against the TV. The glass shattered, cutting Tommy's knuckles as they fell to the ground. The fractured screen displayed colored quadrilaterals with static running along the edges. Tommy's breath came out in sharp, heavy bolts that slammed against his lungs, beating his ribcage from the inside out. Tommy stared at the glass on the ground, mixing with blood. Red, fresh blood that dripped in a steady stream. Tommy didn't notice when a clearer liquid joined the growing puddle, but he could feel his face burning with pain. His head was throbbing, and his lungs were about ready to collapse. Tommy half wished they would.

SapNap had moved on. He was starting a family. He was getting married. He seemed happy and content as he moved into an apartment with the two people he never bothered to introduce Tommy to.

George was constantly asleep. Time moves differently for him. Tommy used to be so scared that George would never wake up. Now, Tommy knew that it didn't matter at the end of the day if George was awake or asleep.

Bad, Royal, Fundy, Scott, Tubbo, Ranboo. They all had lives outside of Tommy. He didn't fault them for that. Everyone was allowed to have their own experiences. But Tommy gave them fault for abandoning him when he needed them by his side.

Clay had replaced him. The person Tommy devoted his life to, the man that Tommy would give everything up for, the man that saved Tommy and gave him a home when Tommy had none, had replaced him. He looked happy, Tommy recalled the image. Clay looked happy, healthy, and in such a good state that Tommy was envious as much as he was upset. Because Tommy was a wreck without Clay, but Clay was still the perfect person Tommy knew him to be.

And Tommy couldn't take it. He had been the best hero he could be. He had done all the good deeds, made up for all the bad karma. And he was dying. He had given up a lot of his life for these people. They were gone. They would probably never come back. Tommy was more alone than he had ever been.

His communicator buzzed at his side. Tommy looked at it, the blood from his hand dripping on the screen. Wilbur had sent him a message. He was invited to the fireworks show with Wilbur and his family. Tommy smiled sadly as he answered that he would be there.