꒱.✧ 運命 ;; in-between spaces

◇◇◇

◇◇◇

Quick breaths; the sound of hot air due from exhaustion had gone louder than before. I could feel the mixture of heat and coldness behind my ear as my heart continuously race faster as seconds passed by.

The little girl gazes to her side to look at my older brother. Her eyes had stuck on his eyes which held the void within his rust-red eyes, making an outstanding illustration of a predator locating its prey as dimly glowing underneath the broad daylight. The impression of the neighborhood about the older brother seemingly has just made sense to the young girl's opinion upon witnessing such beauty and hinted nightmare in just a pair of eyes.

The eyes are the window of one's soul.

"Sakuya, hold on a little longer." My older brother has whispered near my ear. I felt tickled but the situation we are in had sent messages not to laugh, instead, they have ordered me to shiver as an alternative reaction, preventing me to let out such a low chuckle.

"Saku, why is that pretty girl chasing us earlier?"

Sakunosuke, a teen who donned magnificent hair whose color may be comparable to how autumn leaves paint their selves with a reddish tinge; a pair of rusted eyes, who reflected the emptiness of the void, met his own sister's different shades. He had caught a guess regarding why they were being followed, because of their ability or his sister's ability.

Sakunosuke was completely aware of the risk whenever normal people had known such thing exist in their world, especially his sister's ability. Especially during around this time where a great war is occurring and government military have been seeking all ability users to enlist them. He knew, like the back of his hand, that if Sakuya's ability had been exposed, it would cause chaos to those who wanted a breakthrough of science as it was almost like immortality; a seemingly divine power in the eyes of science and those who are a believer of god's creation.

Due to that, the older sibling had also prepared counterstrategies against the dangers for instances like this, solely prepared for escape. Contrary to everyone's impression, Sakunosuke does have a caring side however those are strictly for his sister.

"Don't worry, Saku! If I ever got injured I just need time to-"

Sakuya did not manage to finish her reassurance that she had thought would help her older brother. Instead, Sakunosuke's rusted eyes have dimmed upon hearing that. He hated the thought of his sister does not fear the idea of getting harmed. The teen caught how his expression frightened his younger sibling as she unintentionally whimpered out. This made him control his mood as he did not want his sister to fear him.

"Do not say stuff like that ever again." He looked away, mumbling a few words under his breath without looking at his sister's eyes.

Sakuya felt relieved when she has heard those words. She felt the joy spark within her heart and somehow, it made her mind rest for a few seconds. Sakuya is, and might be forever still, a child at heart; she does not fear any dangers that may harm her however she feels the dread creeping on her soul upon the thought of her brother hating every single part of her.

"Sakuya, we'll be heading straight to Yokohama."

"Yokohama?"

"I have found a suitable job that would let us stay there for more than a while."

"Is that so!" the child beamed a smile, her lips contour into joy as her eyes twinkled upon the idea of moving in a city without the urge of relocating again.

Sakunosuke felt happy. He may not show it on his face, however, it would be a sight to behold once you have peered inside his mind and emotions. You would be surprised at how much he held his sister as if she was the only treasure that matters to him the most even though he held so much indifference towards the world.

Anyone unable to recognize how much he valued his sister is bound to realize that.

"I have found you, detective!" the high-pitched voice had popped the bubble. A woman prances upon her discovery with her feet steps sideways repetitively in an easy pattern; a way to express her joy on finding such a valuable gem.

The older sibling immediately pulled his sister closer to him; his eyes are glaring red at the woman whose lips were hooked up into a sinister relief. She was a fine lady. Any man would acknowledge when they saw her. However, Sakunosuke sees her as a threat and that made him see her as unsightly garbage that was destined to be discarded for the greater good.

"Mikoto, that girl...I want her in my team." Golden irises flickered in greed as if her eyes were made of gold itself. Her hand lifted and pause mid-air, her fingers-it was her index that made its declaration-pointed at Sakuya, strongly announcing her demand to gain over that fragile child who was cowering behind her brother. A beautiful teen had revealed his self, walking forward, as he heard his name was called out; his eyes wandered and met the outstanding shades of red living within the young girl's eye. He then had greeted a pair of rust-red eyes from the older sibling; it was raging in deep anger that he concluded internally not to fight him as he would not hesitate to kill anyone that dares to harm his sister.

According to people who are unable to provoke Sakunosuke; it was as if he had an endless container where he discards his emotions every day. However, that single statement has made him utterly express his resentment visibly on his face.

Sakuya, who felt powerless in the present crisis, has sensed her brother's hatred by simply looking at his eyes who had grown darker than she has witnessed. She holds onto his hands, squeezing them as a form of request and an act of asking for reassurance. This technique seems to work on Sakunosuke as the young girl had done this a few times prior whenever they are in a tight situation.

In just a matter of a second, Sakunosuke pulled Sakuya to a quick run, as he foresaw the success of his actions in a six-second result. He never dared to look back as he knew what he'll witness. Sakuya, on the other hand, could not contain her curiosity about what will she witness back, so she had her eyes peered behind her, witnessing a scene where the woman was lifted by an invisible force, her hands were holding onto somewhere near her throat that Sakuya could not see with her eyes.

Desperately gasping for air, a soundless shriek had only escaped from a woman's vocal cord until Sakuya had noticed her hands feel lifeless after two seconds of silence.

It may not be visible; however, the sight of murder has made its way to Sakuya as a mixture of fascination and memorable dread that had been planted inside her mind.