꒱.✧ 勇士 ;; crown of roses and thorns

◇◇◇

◇◇◇

The skies were clear, and the sun blazed at noon glare. I bid farewell to my friend, the owner of the café, and got myself out of the shop before attempting to challenge and stare at the sun's rays which burned my sight in instant. I quickly shut my eyes and I let out a brief expression of pain, a curse escaped my lips.

"Sakuya-san?" a voice called my name, turning my attention over to the owner, I saw Atsushi standing outside the shop. "You're out early. It's only afternoon."

"Ah," my mind fought over thinking whether I should tell him the truth or cover up with a white lie. "I was given a month off."

The boy quickly accepted it. He did not ask for further information about it, his gaze wanders off, and observes the people passing by his sight. I noticed his constant side glance at me. I figured that he wanted to ask a question but did not dare to express it.

"Are you waiting for someone?" I initiated. My hands iron the sleeves of my blouse, thinking that would at least ease the dense air filling in between us.

"Oh," Atsushi is at a loss for words. "I was waiting for Dazai-san and Ranpo-san."

He told me that they recently solved a murder case, and they were at the police station. The boy subconsciously tells me the story; Dazai was assumed to be the second victim after the investigation team fished him out from the river this morning. He also exclaimed his disbelief and amusement about Ranpo not having an ability.

"I'm sorry!" Atsushi's face suddenly felt shame from his rants. I let out a small laugh and told him that it was all right. Whenever I look at the boy, I am reminded that I live in the city where I do not belong. Despite his white hair framing his face, there was a sense of belonging and he truly blends among the people of Yokohama.

The boy noticed me staring at him and had his eyes curiously figuring out my intentions. He shyly smiles; unable to word his concerns to me, he averted his gaze from me and remain silent.

"You don't have to restraint yourself, kid." I find his behavior rather adorable. This thought immediately caused me disbelief, realizing that I am indeed older than Atsushi. It was not too long ago I was the same age as him. Time really does wait for no one.

"You were quite a popular topic in the Agency, Sakuya-san." Atsushi finally eases up with me. "I was thinking whether it is appropriate for me to ask a question about your disappearance, but I thought of you not liking it and possibly avoiding it at all costs."

"Do you think I bite?" I watched his face go into a panic. He profusely clears that, that was not what he intends to tell me. Though he admits he feels alienated and a wave of feeling that I was difficult to converse with frightens him. I smiled at him.

"Atsushi-kun, do you like working in the Agency?" I raised a question to which he fell into such contemplation, thinking about how he felt about it before he answers.