꒱.✧ 夢中 ;; unfathomable fear

◇◇◇

◇◇◇

"Thank you for the food!" we say, clasping both of our palms together, forming a prayer as a form of gratitude in front of our food and giver. I stared at my curry with fascination and hesitation. My eyes could not help but peek over my older brother's dish. I had no trouble figuring it out that his' was spicy due to its color alone. What it made me wonder though, is that he had asked a raw egg to be cracked on top of it.

I failed to realize what face I was making until Sakunosuke noticed my particular attention to his food. His rusty eyes move from his food to mine, then back to his once again. He was trying to figure out what was it that I wanted and as soon as he failed to speculate, he asks, "do you want a raw egg too?"

"Oh-I, uhm..." I jolted a bit on my seat, surprised about his question. I was lost for words, and it made me panic for a few seconds, unable to look for the answer I am trying to say.

"I supposed you want a different taste than your usual. So, you could have mine." My brother offered his favorite cuisine, sliding his bowl nearer to mine. And when he was about to switch our food, my hand swatted his hands away. My older brother looked so shocked, but he also quickly regained his composure.

"I, I'm sorry." I apologized. "I just wanted to observe yours. But I do not want to eat them."

"Is that so." He quietly replied. He did not ask for any further explanation regarding my behavior. My brother simply picked up his chopsticks then looked over in my direction as if he was waiting for me to begin which I did eventually. There was an awkward silence between us, but I figured it was because of my recent discovery about myself. I wasn't supposed to be here, or rather, I wasn't supposed to remember my previous life. I distract myself from the thought by taking a bite of my curry, the flavor melted into my mouth. I couldn't help but go soft on how delicious the taste is. Japanese cuisine is truly a wonder for someone who has lived a life in a Western country.

After we ate, my brother informed me he had to go somewhere in the city and recalls the time I was told that he recently got a suitable job. I tried asking what kind of job it is. His rusty eyes stared at mine, he says, "Just simply taking out someone's garbage."

I knew those words were not simple as it is, yet I simply remained silent. Acting so innocent as a child I am supposed to be. My brother left afterward, leaving me inside the curry restaurant-we rented a room, and the restaurant owner is our land boss. I couldn't exactly tell what he was thinking leaving me without instructions. He didn't leave any messages, nor did he leave me with strict reminders. Nothing.

"Your brother is not very expressive, isn't he?" the owner spoke, catching my attention as I look over in his direction. "Well, it is not that I find you a nuisance, but feel free to look around the place. It is not much, but I am certain that this is once of the safest block around the city."

The outside is indeed refreshing. Unlike those cities we have been through, this one has a sense of freedom that gave me a feeling of safety. And the breeze felt no longer tried to suffocate me. For the first time in a while, I admired the clear blue sky that was painted in front of me. A mere sideshow for it gave me a dream-like feeling and made me forget the reality I recently discovered.

A take a few walks around. I could see a small crowd away from my current position. I had no intention to approach it. I barely know the place after all. I would be lying if I told myself that I have no fear and that I was quick to adapt to my surroundings. What kind of child is not afraid when they are put into a new playground? And although I am mentally an adult, my experience in this world was no different from any child.

Turning my back away from the sight, with only a matter of a few steps, I heard something-no, someone-fall on the ground behind me.

They were all wounded, and their right shoulder was shot. I did not remember what kind of expression I had when I saw them. A cold shiver runs down my spine when they managed to piece out their sentence towards me.

"Run. You're one of us, right? Run. They're coming after us!"

What exactly is this us? Not enough details to figure out what he was trying to relay. He could also have mistaken me for someone else. But his dreadful eyes stared at my soul as if he knew he was not speaking to a mere child. Yet I do not want to jump to conclusions thus, making a room for doubt.

"Sakuya-chan!" I heard the owner yell my name. He quickly sweeps me off my feet, picking me up so easily as he took me away from the injured man. He dialed the emergency number and talked about what we saw today. It was only by then I realized I was frozen in place.

"What do you mean I am one of yours..." I questioned the man, breathing heavily and almost losing consciousness due to blood loss.

"You..." he gathers all his power to answer me. I could tell he does not want to leave me clueless.

"Please, refrain from talking, Mister." the restaurant owner instructed with the hint of frustration in his voice.

"This isn't your first life...is it?" I heard my breath hitched when he said those words to me. I felt something grow stronger in my chest; clearly, it was not just a mere curiosity, rather my fear that dwell inside me ever since I discovered I have this second life. I knew from the moment I challenged God, that this life was no mere gift, but a form of punishment that was bestowed upon me.

The injured man spoke no longer. For his breath ended the moment he told me the answer to my question.