꒱.✧ 夢中 ;; drawn from a blueprint

◇◇◇

◇◇◇

I have discovered new information today. Our landlord has a soft spot for children. He offered his favorite Taiyaki to a teen whom he found outside of his restaurant. When I asked him why he gave those, he simply laughed and stated that he reminds him of his younger brother when he was still young. I could never understand how they could laugh it off. Are they not afraid of accepting possible traitors? What if he accepts children who had the intention of stealing his money?

"Isn't that because you grew up not having the chance to see how kind people can be?" I quickly turned my attention to the boy. He wore an elite black gakuran and has a student cap on his head. He has messy black hair and fascinating fox eyes that remained closed. I had a feeling I have met him somewhere, yet I could not find any remembrance regarding my intuition. Could he be an actor?

I was stunned as soon as the teen burst into such lighthearted laughter. I felt a surge of sheer embarrassment from his reaction. Despite not knowing what made him laugh, I refused to look at him any longer, thus turning my back away from the boy.

"My name is Edogawa Ranpo! The greatest detective!" he ran over in front of my seat and forcibly interacted with me. If I had a word to describe my first impression, he is, despite looking a teen, extremely childish yet he holds such maturity in his own air. Quite a dilemma if you'd ask me.

"How old are you?" I quietly observed him. I was rather curious as to why he did not ask my name first. Does he have an intention? No, it must be because he simply does not care about simple things such as manners.

"I'm a ten-year-old," I replied. However, he had me astonished once again. He whines and refuses to accept my answer. "Why are you not happy with my answer? I simply told you what you have asked me to!"

"I meant your real age! Before you became a ten-year-old child! Do you honestly expect me to be similar with those adults?" he expressed with such excitement and a bit of annoyance as it seems he needed to spell it out for me. I was lost for words. Unable to take in on what he suddenly asked of me. How did he exactly figure it out? It is also quite unbelievable how our landlord is casually listening to us! Did he take it in as a mere child's play?

"Are you...one of them?" I felt my heart skip on his statement. I told myself to be quiet, yet I could never help myself but wonder who exactly he is. My fingers fidgeted as I felt anxious. I could not figure myself deciding whether should I let him hear my discovery. Edogawa-san remained surprisingly patient. He still wears his confident smile, legs swinging back and forth on his seat as he simply cannot contain his anticipation when I asked him. He casually says he was not one of them, rather it was me who belongs in that category I have spoken of.

"The victim yesterday was similar to your case." He added, offering me the answers I wanted to hear since the incident. "He remembers his previous life and discovered that this was his second chance of living. Isn't great? God has given you second chances!"

I snapped back to his words, a strong surge of hatred swirled inside my chest and had the impulse to refute his seemingly praiseful statement about God giving us second chances. I tightly hold onto my shirt, containing my emotions in a jar, and prevent them from bursting out. I still could not see myself believing that he gave us a chance. What he gave us were no gifts, but nightmares reliving our own failure. It certainly loves having a higher ground and mocking our lives with pure madness. How do people perceive him as a saint when he never even tried lending his own hand to them?

"Ah, isn't that wonderful? You had a painted quite a disdain on your face." The teen felt proud the moment I have realized I fell into his trap. This had me even more bitter though I was more ashamed of myself for not recognizing what he set out for me. Edogawa-san is truly cunning.

"Won't you join our agency? I guaranteed your skill would not be such a waste!"

"What more is there for me? Have you forgotten I'm only a child? No agency would accept me, and neither should you!" I exclaimed my disbelief. I got my whole heart set out for doubt regarding his offer.

"This is entirely different!" And so, he says. I have heard similar excuses and this one might be one of the worst to convince me. "If you accept my offer, you would be able to gain much more information about one of those people! Although our job was no different from those who work in the office-that was just a front though-our agency solely exists for gifted people like us! In addition, you would be able to study our language!"

Now that is what I call a deal. His smile grew even wider, unable to resist the pride of having things on his side as he sets out as it is. A truly frightening skill he has. I lend out my hand and he quickly shook it as soon as I offered them out.

"Right decision you have made there, Sakuya-san!" he continued to shake my hand rather aggressively. Then Edogawa-san suddenly paused and look at me as if he was still waiting for something else. "You have not told me your real age but do not worry! I already knew so don't bother answering them!"

After he says that, he simply stopped pestering me, and raised his hand, waving them off to catch the owner's attention. Once he had his consideration, he had himself request another plate of Taiyaki. He expresses how undeniably sweet they are than those other sweets he has eaten this morning. I simply watched him go as he pleases and for the first time in a while, I have noticed how Edogawa-san's face was seemingly molded differently from our landlord's. I had this first impression when I looked at my older brother. Sakunosuke too, unlike any other people we have encountered, stands out the most.

Almost as if they were drawn to stand out from the rest of the crowd.

And once again, I felt my heartthrob. The excruciating pain of the unknown grew stronger. I wondered if there was still something left for me to discover. And if there was, I hope I was not too late. I could only hope that this feeling would not lead me into something I would regret afterward.