꒱.✧ 明星 ;; in darkness, shall they devour

◇◇◇

◇◇◇

When I was thirteen, Hiraoka Noriko became the beacon of Japan Entertainment. She was born in the city of Yokohama. It was said that when your eyes lay upon her, the heavens would sing, the wind would whistle and whisper such beautiful melody, and the skies would clear upon the order of the gods as though she was a truly blessed child. It was not an exaggeration to call her - even I was astonished to hear it from my heart - that she was truly god's favorite child. Was it not funny to say it despite some of my kind telling me that I too, being hailed as the most blessed among their favorites?

"Were we not going to tell her about her ability, Edogawa-san?" It was a question from my younger days towards the detective. Before we stumble upon this abduction case of the child star, Ranpo once concluded that Hiraoka Noriko's voice was not something a normal person could ever do and that it was similar to what we had: an ability.

Whenever the child star sings, she completely bewitched anyone within a certain radius. I have yet to experience it myself, but I was told they worked quite differently, and Noriko was completely unaware of it. It was mind manipulation; a child gifted with a siren's voice. And it made me wonder; fascinated how the world works completely differently from the world I once lived in as there were no supernatural abilities for us to rise and conquer the top. Had she lured them into their death as a siren would do to those sailors voyaging the sea?

"What difference does it make when we report it? Either way, I don't think it would be a threat unless she uses it as a weapon." Ranpo would shrug upon those times. He says what fate lies ahead of the child were no longer ours to weave and I would often catch myself thinking about it after we helped the Yakuza in deceiving the police department.

If it were not ours to weave, perhaps it ours to admire from afar?

"Though after observing it," I remember looking at him with the curiosity he managed to spark inside of my mind. "It is, no doubt, that the child's voice is something similar to yours. She might be one of your peers."

I was confused when he told me about it. What I had was something I consider a curse. And it might be because I somehow admired Hiraoka Noriko, that I would never imagine myself seeing her voice as something a curse granted from her afterlife. She was someone who you would consider something divine. A curse would not really match how she walks this earth.

It was not long after that talk with Ranpo, we left the Yakuza residence. It may be because I was younger and unfamiliar with the world I am living in, but when I looked back at their mansion, it felt like it was haunted. I could not recall whether I vow not to go back into that place yet-

"Sakuya-san, do we really need to go in there?" Nakajima Atsushi, a young boy who recently joined the Armed Detective Agency and was forced to come with me as his first lesson and mission.

"Don't worry, kid. We won't be going inside - or at least that is what I hope - I told myself to bring you back before the morning ends." I told him before I press the doorbell beside the looming gates before us. I heard a faint sound of bells echoing beyond. I did not dare to press on the second time.