꒱.✧ 名前 ;; uncertain certainty

◇◇◇

◇◇◇

People say that all souls will go to either one of the two realms: heaven and hell. While most of the population on earth are religious and are dedicated to it, there was also a majority who believe that the afterlife is foolish and there was no way to tell if it was true for the dead cannot tell what it's like on the other side. Some shrug and are too busy working to set their hearts on believing these things. While very few people believe in reincarnation, romanticizing the idea of two people meeting again over the course of time. They say it was plausible; the idea of people dying only to get their memory wiped out and live on as an entirely different person.

Oda Sakuya does not fit any of those categories.

The closest was reincarnation. However, if it was the case, why does she remember everything from her previous life? There were indeed viral stories that went on the internet about children remembering their past. But to Sakuya, remembering the past has something to do with unfathomable force. Almost as if it were planned out. Especially some people recognized her as one of them. And so, she concluded to herself, that these are no coincidence. It's been a whole week since then, she wanted to seek the answers. She was impatient about it too, yet she decided to take things slowly and understand how the world works around the city.

Maybe when she finally fits in this kind of environment, she would be able to move on her own without the help of others.

"Edogawa-san, I think we should accept those small missions," Sakuya suggested to the teen as her eyes observed how impatient he is. They were looking for cases that helps them to build up their Agency's reputation, yet they haven't done anything for the whole day due to Ranpo's decisions. She noticed he was walking in such a childish manner—striding while his arms are crossed to his chest to express his mood.

"No! I don't like those kinds of requests!" Edogawa Ranpo stopped in his tracks and turned his attention to Sakuya. "I did not invite you just for us to take some boring tasks like finding someone's pet!"

"But aren't newbies supposed to take small offers before they even take large cases?" Sakuya admitted to herself that she was too slow to grasp the teen's mindset. Even though she was certain that he, like how he proudly presented himself, is the greatest detective, she couldn't think of a reason why the teenager does not like those trivial offers.

"Finding a missing person is a case that I might consider! But a pet is too easy!" He pointed out his distaste.

"Well, if it was so easy then why not take it?" Sakuya almost made a sarcastic tone towards Ranpo, yet she controlled herself as she finds it unnecessary.

"No! You sound like those self-proclaimed professionals! I do not take easy cases, I accept challenging ones!"

The statement paves a way for Sakuya to grasp an idea of how Edogawa Ranpo's mind works. To her, Ranpo has a genius mind, and he isn't interested in things he already knows of, rather he strives to gain thrilling cases that he deemed useful and will be able to question his intellect. An insatiable thirst for knowledge.

Therefore, Edogawa Ranpo is a child.

"I understand your point." Sakuya finally realizes his reasons. She filled the silence with her response. Not wanting him to view her as someone who fails to catch his point, she suddenly added an offer that she thought the detective has not been offered, "have you ever thought of enrolling in an advance academy?"

For a moment, the teen stared at her. Both have no idea how to react to each other's responses. Sakuya finds his eyes quite unfathomable and has no idea what kind of thought he has for her at that moment she voiced out her offer. A part of her does not care about it yet she felt vulnerable at the thought of Ranpo hating on her just for that.

Ranpo, on the other hand, cannot find suitable words to express his emotions. He felt the need to explain his previous situation but fails to understand why he feels like he needed to. He knew Sakuya recognizes his talent without the intention of using it for selfish intentions. He likes her for that. Despite him not caring what other people think of him, he is, like any human, does not like the fact that society doesn't want to accept him as he is.

He puts on a smile, eases his arms away from being crossed, then admitted it, "They kicked me out of the academy. I tried working with various jobs as well. But people don't like to be told they're wrong when I discovered their schemes. So, I ended up applying for a job—which ended up being a crime scene—and met the President and here we are!"

Ranpo controlled his fear of thinking Sakuya would find him incompetent by hearing him out. However, he felt taken back, unaware how relieved he was when she responded with—Society is indeed foolish to reject such talent.

He laughed from his heart content, proudly agreeing with Sakuya. "I know right! Now that you are aware of my point, we shall continue to find difficult cases! Doesn't matter if people think we are too young for that! After all, they were just being jealous of the fact that we are great at it without ever being offered an incentive such as receiving a salary!"

There was a moment of silence between them but neither of them feels uncomfortable about it as they were strolling around the city and Sakuya find herself staring at her reflection on a glass window. In her heart, she felt guilty by looking at it. Unable to conclude on who she was after all her discovery.

Ranpo easily caught her small world and decided to speak what was on his mind, breaking the silence between them, "Why don't you tell your older brother about who you are?"

Sakuya turned her attention to him, giving him the look of scepticism. "Do you honestly think my brother would believe me? Even if I confess, there is no way he would look at me like I am his sister and moved on the next day like nothing ever happened."

"Sakuya." The teen dropped honorifics from her name. "That decision isn't for you to conclude but for your brother to make. Even though we haven't been introduced to one another, I am certain that he isn't like what you feared he would be."

"But what if he—

"Trust me on this one, Sakuya. I assure you that he would be able to understand you. Far better than what I do."

Sakuya's different hue of rust eyes was glued on Ranpo's emerald pair. It was urging her to stay put and see how genuine his words are. Eventually, she looked down at her hands, massaging both of her palms to ease the anxiety she is starting to feel building up. She was a bit of afraid how to respond to that kind of talk. She never really thought about the idea of someone understanding her. All she wanted to be is to find the answer that God took away from her.

She has no idea what kind of emotion swirling inside her chest, nor did she ever really try to figure them out, but a pair of words managed to escape from her mouth.

"Thank you."