Chapter 5: Summer's Heat

Summer’s Heat

  I stood there stuttering as the evil guy smirked. I had no idea if I wanted to meet their king if he was as evil as this guy. But I wanted to get away from this guy... There goes any hope of living if they are both as bad as each other. Oh well, let’s try the king shall we?

  I pushed myself through the big oak doors to see a dining room with a really long table. At the very end sat a man. He looked elegant and sun kissed but I couldn’t see him very well from the other side of the room.

  “Come here.” The man demanded in a very authoritive tone.

  I took slow steps towards him just in case something bad happened.

  When I got closer I saw a little more of him. He had blonde hair that was messed up under a shining gold crown. His eyes were a golden honey colour and he was awfully tanned. He wore golden robes and had on a lovely glare to go with his disapproving expression. He kind of looked like a spoilt child in my opinion.

  “Are you Arabella Thorn!?” He even sounded a little like a spoilt child, always demanding what he wanted.

  I nodded. “Why?”

  “That’s none of your business!” He shouted. “Now sit down.”

  I sat down at the nearest chair which happened to be quite near to him. I sat on the edge of my seat very uncomfortably.

  “I am Kieran, King of Summer!” He boomed. “Do not be afraid to bow down before me or kiss my hand.” He held out his hand for me to kiss. Obviously this guy was a jerk who thought he could get everything he wanted.

  I just stared at him with unblinking eyes. This guy was stupid if he thought that I was just going to do what he says. I never listen; even my teachers learnt that the hard way.

  He sighed in defeat. “I guess you are just like your stubborn aunt.” He mumbled but my ears picked it up.

  “My aunt?” I didn’t know I had an aunt.

  “Yes your aunt. Did you mother never teach you anything?”

  I just stared at him again. I had no idea what he was ranting and raving about.

  He sighed again. “Your aunt is queen of the Light Court. Your mother was to inherit the throne after your grandmother but she refused and handed it on to your aunt. Your mother refused because of her weak spot for a mortal. Puny things, I never did like them. But anyway your aunt never reproduced and you seem to be the only heir left so I guess your next in line for the throne. And since your aunt has become ill you will be inheriting it early. Well that was before we kidnapped you from the Dark Court’s clutches. You’re mine now.” His smile was cruel and it made me want to run away screaming.

  “Wha- What?” I stuttered. I was so confused and pretty scared. Usually I am not afraid, but his evil smile and arrogance made me want to run and hide like a scared little puppy.

  “Ah right sorry. Your mother obviously told you nothing about the courts. I bet you haven’t even seen a fairy before am I right?”

  I nodded, still afraid.

  “Well, dear Arabella. Look closely at me. I don’t look human do I?” His toothy smile was almost feral. “Peel away my features as if you were stripping away flaking paint. Just strip it away until you see the real truth. You may not have done this before but as soon as you do it a couple of times you won’t need to try hard next time you see a faery since you are half fey yourself.” The look in his eyes gleamed with something I was afraid of understanding.