Chapter 8: Light Shall Shine Through Her

I just wanted to say one thing before you read this. I get inspiration from all over the place and some of the inspiration came from the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr and the Lord of the Rings trilogy (movies since I haven't read the books) for this book. But what mainly inspired me with this wasn't actually just that. It was the scenery in this beautiful place I live in. You all know that those gorgeous forests and hauntingly beautiful mountain ranges in Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit were all filmed in New Zealand right? It's where I live and New Zealand is an absolutely beautiful country.

Light Shall Shine Through Her

  We found out that the boy’s name was Hamish Barkley. We also found out he rarely shut up and was very good at driving you mad.

  “So Arabella what court are you a part of?” Hamish asked me. He was getting clarifications from everybody and now it was my turn.

  Everyone’s attention was on me because now I had to choose a side because well, I haven’t actually chosen yet. “Light.” I replied with a straight face. I just made one of the biggest decisions so far.

  Reigner smiled a drunken smile and Rodan and Laurel smiled at me reassuringly. Reigner’s beating had possibly given her brain damage and I couldn’t ask her if she was still trying to come up with a plan to get us out because Hound Boy was with us.

  “Well that’s good. What clan or court are you from?” Hound Boy asked me again. His new nickname is Hound Boy.

  “Light.” I replied again. It was true; my mother was light so therefore I’m light, right?

  “You’re a light? Wow. I would have never thought I would see a light down in the Summer dungeons.”

  “Well you would be surprised.”

  “What’s your favourite colour?”

  His question confused me for a moment. “Purple and red.”

  “So purple like the lilies and red for the roses?”

  “I guess so.”

  He smiled toothily at me. It was a little creepy really. “What is your favourite season?”

  I gave him a ‘what on earth are you on about look’ before I replied with “Autumn, just when the leaves are falling in a bright range of colours. I also like Summer and Spring with all of the flowers and creatures out.”

  “That’s cool. Hmmm....”

  “No more questions! Can’t you see she’s had enough questioning?” Rodan shouted at him.

  Laurel was busy hitting her head against the prison’s stone walls because she was sick of his voice. I think Reigner had passed out again or something because she had her head at a weird position on the metal bars. Rodan looked ready to pull his hair out.

  “Like I said, we are going to be together for quite some time so why not get acquainted?” Hamish answered back, flashing everyone a smile.

  “Maybe because you’re annoying?” Laurel answered with a question and I had to muffle my laughter with my hand.

  “How dare you! I am a Loyal Hound thank you very much and you are just a filthy peasant!”

  “Hey! That’s no way to speak to her! So what if you’re an ‘original’ or whatever. It still doesn’t mean you can speak down to her just because she may be lower ranking than you. So far they have shown more kindness in five minutes than you have in five hours! So just shut your mouth and watch what you say!” I yelled at him absolutely furious. How dare he speak to her like that!