Chapter 20: The Feast

The other day I was digging through some of my old stuff, and I found some work I did back when I was 9. In my book I had written "I think I might be a writer or something to do with writing." My nine year old self had discovered something that I truly enjoyed and loved, and to this day I still write. So that's why I'm writing again, I've realised I still love it. I haven't gotten all of my inspiration back, but I will keep writing, I even know how to finish this book, and what to start on next.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy, and as always, please leave a vote if you think it's worthy.

Chapter 20: The Feast

I felt like I was floating on cloud nine, even the girls noticed and called me out on it, but there didn't seem to be words to describe how I felt. Finally, I felt like I belonged properly, I didn't feel misplaced, and I was truly loved. Of course, I had my friends and their love, but this was different. This was something more.

I felt something for Desmond that I'd felt for no other, and I hoped he felt the same. I collapsed on my bed with a sigh and stared at the ceiling.

"Ella? We asked you a question," Reigner said, leaning over me with her wary eye.

"I'm fine," I whispered, "Better than fine actually."

They all smiled at me, somehow knowing what it was, or at least suspected why I was in a daze.

Then the door banged open, making all of us jump in surprise. Alexia had walked in with a Frost fey trailing behind her.

"Girls," She said looking at first Kila, then Relania and Dalsa, followed by Reigner, and finally her eyes fell on me. "It's time to get ready for the feast," She grinned before she spun on her heel, letting her skirt flare out, making little snowflakes fly everywhere.

When she was gone Dalsa said, "Did anyone else notice that that Frost Fey never leaves her side? Do you reckon there's something there?" She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Relania nudged her, "You're always trying to come up with love stories!"

"I think it's cute," Kila giggled.

"Speaking of love stories," Dalsa said, "What's yours?"

"Dalsa!" Reigner interrupted, "You don't go around asking people that!"

Dalsa looked like a puppy had been kicked, but Kila shook it off. "No, no, it's fine. It's not much really, Kieran and I were to be married, but the Dark Court didn't want that alliance, so they stole me from my home. I was the only daughter of the second most powerful Summer fey in the kingdom, so it would've strengthened our court. But it didn't happen, and if you want Kieran on your side, good luck, he's not cruel like Dark, but he's still lacking something that makes him..." She trailed off.

"What my old realm would've said was 'human', but none of you seem to be like that. I don't even seem human anymore," I replied, my earlier happiness slowly seeping away.

The sad looks from the girls around me made me get up and walk to my closet.

"Now, I believe we have a feast to get to."

There were so many faces, wings, horns and antlers of all sorts, different ears, and so many colourful outfits. It was like all of my children's fairy books decided to throw up rainbows all over the place; it hurt my eyes.

Reigner had left me to go and find the Gold Leaves and her beloved, Dalsa and Relania had to help in the kitchen, and Kila had to talk to Caterine in private. I was lost in the crowd, not knowing who anyone was. It was scary, not as scary as the Dark Court, but scary enough to be what a nightmare would be made of.