Chapter 3: Nightmares

Nightmares

  I had it again. The same nightmare that has been haunting me ever since I was little. I have it every night and I wake up sweating and sometimes screaming. Nobody comes to comfort me though, they all hate me.

  My nightmare is exactly the same as always. Nothing ever changes. I’m always running through a deep dark forest with massive trees coated in thick snow. Then out jumps a fairy with a twisted face and a blade at the ready. A man jumps out in front of me and fights the fairy. They both end up going down. I scream “Daddy!” at the man who saved me. He doesn’t look like the father I grew up with though. I sometimes thought I was adopted but I don’t know. It never explains the scary fairy though. Aren’t they supposed to be happy, dainty creatures that don’t exist?

  Anyway I woke up screaming again. I jumped out of bed and lay on the cold ground until morning. I never got any sleep. I probably never will.

  When it was 6.30 I got up and had a shower before anyone else woke up. They all had a shower and got washed up at 7. I then proceeded to tug on my stupid and ugly uniform. I tucked my hair in another cap and went down to get breakfast.

  I don’t eat with the other students in the cafeteria, I go down to the old folk’s home.

  Marian greeted me like every other morning. “Good morning sunshine.”

  “Good morning Marian. What’s for breakfast today?”

  “Your favourite. Bacon and eggs on toast.”

  “Mmmm. Cook makes the best.” I gave her a warm rare smile.

  Marian is a plump friendly lady in her mid thirties. She is always so kind and she doesn’t care if I get into so much trouble I end up working with Mrs. Keyes.

  I walked into the main lounge area where a few oldies sat talking, knitting and two old men were playing chess. Here nobody judges me for my bad behaviour at boarding school because they all think I do it for my parents’ attention which I lost long ago.

  “’Morning Rueben, Clark, Hillary, Mary-Anne and Lucy. How are you today?” I greeted them cheerily like I do every morning.

  “Good morning sweetheart. We old ladies are making some warm scarves for the winter for everyone in the home. Would you like one?” Mary-Anne greeted and asked me.

  “Why yes dearie. Wouldn’t you like one?” Hillary joined in.

  Lucy smiled at me. She doesn’t talk before 9 every morning because she doesn’t put her dentures in until then. All three women are extremely kind though, even if they do treat me like a child but it’s what expected here at the old folk’s home.

  “Why of course I would like one. You ladies are the best at making scarves around here.” I smiled.

  “That’s what you said about hats.” Clark snorted from his chess game with Rueben.

  “But that’s because it’s true.”

  They all merrily laughed at me but I didn’t mind. Their humour was more fried compared to mine.

  “Oh hey, where’s Lulu?” I asked. Lulu is the old dog that lives here. Well she isn’t really old. I got given her just before my parents dumped her and me at that stupid boarding school. I wasn’t allowed to keep a King Charles Spaniel at school so I gave her to the old folk’s home. They don’t mind; they love her company. I love my dog, they love my dog and she loves us all.

  “In Regina’s room with her.” Mary-Anne told me.

  “Thank you. See you in a few for good old bacon and eggs on toast.” I said with a wink.

  I walked down a hall towards Regina’s room. I call her Regina but only because she hates being called Grandma. That’s right, she’s my grandma. The only person in my family I am regularly in touch with.

  I knocked roughly on the door.

  “Come in.” I opened the door to see Regina sitting in her rocking chair by the window with Lulu on her knee.

  “Hey Regina.” I said smiling warmly.

  “Hello my dear Arabella. How are you today?” She asked kindly. Yeah, she just called me Arabella. So now you know that my name is Arabella Thorn. Big whoop, it’s a name, who cares?

  “It’s an okay day. It would’ve have been better but I have to head back to school.”

  “I understand sweetheart. We all do.” Her reassuring smile is like all the other ones she’s given me.

  “Breakfast is almost ready. You want to head out to the lounge?”

  “Sounds wonderful.”

  “Come on Lulu.”

  “Can I have a hand please?”

  “Always.”

  We walked out together to get breakfast like every other morning.

  “Ella do you have a pen I could-“

  “No.”

  “But-“

  “No.”

  “Oh come-“

  “No.”

  “Bitch.” Weasel whined under his breath.

  “Weasel.” I spat under mine.

  I was in my last class for the day and I needed it to end. They were killing me in this class.

  Who cares about history anyway? They’re all dead!

  “Miss Thorn! Pay attention!” Mr. Regan screamed at me. I sat at the back so every head turned in my direction.

  “I am sir.” I replied playing innocent.

  “Well, can you repeat what I just said?”

  “Well, can you repeat what I just said?” I was being annoying I know but he did just say that.

  “Principal’s office now!” He knows how to turn red with rage so I grabbed my bag and sprinted out.

  The principal can talk to me later. Right now my room sounds round about wonderful.

  I threw my door open then slammed it shut again. I threw my bag on the floor and started pulling clothes off so I could get into some jeans and a t-shirt. I yanked my cap off and my hair spilled down my back.

  Once I was re-dressed I flopped down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. My ceiling light had crystals hanging from it and whenever it was on it sent streams of different coloured lights everywhere.

  I heard a wolf howl and I sat straight up. I looked out the window just in time to see a pack of wolves jump the fence. They were slightly bigger than normal wolves with different coloured eyes. Are wolves supposed to have glowing green eyes?

  I screamed as they all turned and headed straight for me. Did I mention I am situated on the bottom floor out of two? The wolves looked viscous and hungry. I guess that is what real nightmares are made of.