Chapter 18: Tangled

This is probably a terrible chapter (aren't they always?) but it's an update and I hope you like it. Sorry, it's been awhile, but I'm struggling with this one, so if it's not that good, that's why. .-. Happy reading!

Chapter 18: Tangled

  I was immediately engulfed in a sickly sweet smell of too much pollen and the sweet essence meant for plants to lure in their prey. And by the looks of the plants that seemed to move as I ran past, they were definitely carnivorous.

  The temperature was sticky with humidity and made my hair frizz up in a tangle of curls. Mixing the temperature and the smell made me feel dizzy and enclosed, it was so stuffy and I was practically choking on it all.

  The plants were bright green, dark green, and the flowers on them were a range of bright colours that made me eyes hurt. There were also purple flowers that looked toxic and poisonous. I believe Altain now, this is a dangerous place.

  My soft footsteps were all to be heard as I manoeuvred through the maze of plants and flowers. There wasn’t even an insect to be heard, not even a rustle of a leaf. Unless I ran past and the thorns caught at my dress.

  They tore through, turning my dress to ribbons. They caught at my hair, making me gasp in pain as strands were ripped out. I was desperate, there had to be a way out of here.

  I turned corner after corner, dodging deadly leaf after deadly leaf. It was impossible to get out of here.

  The passages seemed to grow as I ran down them and I turned around corners that seemed to appear out of nowhere. It reminded me of the maze in Harry Potter. It reminded me of how it swallowed them whole, and I hoped that I managed to survive long enough to at least be eaten by something cool. A hedge isn’t that interesting. Who wants to hear about the Light Queen who was swallowed by hedge? Definitely not me!

  After awhile I slowed down, and eventually I stopped.

  It was pointless! I had been running around this stupid place for what felt like hours! And Altain had probably told Thaleam, and Thaleam had probably told his guards! So, there’s probably this huge search party after me, ready to chop my limbs off and then feed it to whatever plant is near!

  I picked up a stone and threw it with a yell of frustration.

  The plant that it hit moved, lifted up slightly. It was bright and leafy like, shaped in a circle. It almost looked like a lion’s mane with two bright white flowers in the middle. It was fascinating; I have never seen a plant like this before. It was beautiful.

  And then it blinked.

  I screamed, stepping back rapidly, away from it. But I went too far and ended up in a bush with branches that grabbed for me. They pulled at my hair, desperately looking for a good hold on me as I struggled and screamed.

  I would’ve yelled for help, but I was in too much of a panic. I was frantically hitting the bush that held me, and as I did so it slowly tightened, choking me in a death grip.

  And finally as a last resort, I yanked on a huge branch before I was completely swallowed by it. It actually squealed. A high pitched surprised squeal resonated from it as it threw me to the ground.

  I hit the ground hard on my backside and I let out an ‘oof’. But I scrambled up quickly and ran. I was out of there; I’m not staying for desert!

  My legs beat faster as my breath shortened and my pace quickened. I did not like this place. I wanted to be in the Light Palace with Desmond, Dalsa and Reigner. They were the only ones I knew that I could trust. Hell, I didn’t even know if I could trust Caterine!

  Somehow it got out where I was, that much I know. And I knew for a fact that they were looking for me, I had overheard Thaleam talking about it once.

  He spoke about a little helper in the Light Court and how he had killed several Light Guards searching for me. I didn’t like it one bit and it had made my resolve to get out of there a lot more intense.

  I started to slow down again. I was short of breath and all of this thinking about treason was making my head spin. So much so, that I literally thought a plant was shimmering! But after awhile it didn’t stop, it actually was shimmering like moonlight on a pond.

  I looked a little closer at the shimmering plants, and what seemed to emerge made me gasp.

  It was a faery, entwined in the vines. She had flowing blonde hair that was caught by a thorn or two and gave her a slightly ragged look. Her bright green dress had also been ripped in various places, especially where the vines crossed over her body, and had slightly faded over time to blend in with the vines encircling her. She seemed to be trapped, and she was watching me.

  “Do not be afraid, child. I only wish to help you,” She spoke with as much power as a soft breeze. It was almost like a summer breeze.

  She didn’t seem to be scary, but if I looked closely I could see that she was in pain. From where the vines wrapped a little too tightly and the thorns dug in a little too deeply, blood dripped red and thick. I could even see that the vine covering the left side of her face had rendered her blind in that eye as it was dull and lifeless. But her right eye glowed a bright green as she watched me.

  “Wh- Where are you from?” I asked, my voice a little shaky. But can you blame me? I’m in one of the most dangerous gardens I’ve ever been in, and she just happens to live here. See a coincidence?

  She smiled kindly at me, but it still did nothing to ease my mind. “I am from the Summer Court, but the old one. The new king, Kieran, has ruined its former glory.”

  Okay... “Why are you here?”

  She looked down in sadness. “I was to be married to the old king, but Thaleam did not want that. So he stole me away, and he put me in here to torture me. I once cherished plants and nursed them back to health, but in here they are sickly sweet and choke me with their sickly scents and tight vines. I now loathe seeing them bloom into beauty. Please, if you can help me, I will be forever in your debt, Light Queen.”

  I look around. How can I release her from the vines? “I’m sorry, but I don’t know how.”

  “Use your light. It will free me and guide us out of here. It is the only way for both of us to be saved.”

  I looked down at my hands. Maybe I can do this again. They haven’t really taught me how to use my powers, not properly anyway. They’ve always been reluctant because I’m only half fey. But I’m sure I can do something.

  I took in a deep breath and looked to the faerie girl again, she looked hopeful. Now, hopeful is what I live for. I let go. I closed my eyes and brought forth whatever power I held.

  I saw light behind my eyelids, then it was gone. So was the sensation of actually glowing. Heat coming to the surface of my skin brought the feeling of warmth coursing through my veins. But it only lasts for as long as moment.

  Slowly I opened my eyes to see that the plants had shied away and were hissing in pain. But the girl was on the ground with her hands shielding her eyes.

  “Hey,” I whispered softly. “I did it.”

  She gently removed her hands and looked up at me, even her blind eye seemed to shine with light.

  “Thank you, now let us leave this place.”

  I took her hand and we ran towards the exit that had showed itself when the plants hid from the light. Then it occurred to me, I didn’t even know her name.