Chapter 7: A Light Finally Shed on a Hard Subject

A Light Finally Shed on a Hard Subject

  “The Fey have always been around. They were around well before the humans and will probably outlive them as well. The Fey have their own special dimension right next to yours. The door to our dimension can be located in a few abandoned places but the door is usually found in deep forest. Only those with fey blood can enter to the faery realms.” Reigner started but she quickly ran out of breath.

  “There are two high courts which created faery- as in the realm and those in it. The two High Courts are the Light Court and the Dark Courts. Then there are the Seasonal courts; the Winter Court and the Summer Courts. The lowest in ranking are the clans. The clans serve one of the four courts. The clans are usually animal clans. But there is the exception of the Gold Leaf Elves, the Humble Tree Folk, the Forest Dwelling Dwarves and a few others.” Rodan continued where Reigner left off but talking also took a lot of effort for him too.

  “The fey must all choose a side. Most of the fey chose to swear fealty to one of the High Courts. Only a few decided to swear fealty to the Seasonal Courts so a new law was ordered that each faery pick a High Court to serve and a Seasonal Court as well. Not everyone listened and many fey turned on each other. This resulted in many disagreements. The Dark Court also grew angered because they wanted the Fey to choose only one court to be fully committed to. So the Dark Court declared war against the Light Court. All of the Fey have been forced to choose a side- either Light or Dark.” Laurel finished.

  “So, you’re telling me that all of the courts hate each other and that there is a war going on?” I asked.

  Reigner nodded but it caused her pain so she stopped.

  “One more thing. What is it with all these different faeries? I get the whole different Court thing but the not the different fairy thing.”

  “Ah. That. Those from the animal clans are specially born in that clan because they can shapeshift to be the animal of that which their clan is named after. We also show characteristics as to what animal we posses. Take me for instance. I am a part of the deer clan and I have antlers.” Rodan told me, gesturing to his remaining antler to his head. When he realised he only had one he frowned.

  “I am an elf!” Reigner declared. Clearly the people who beat her didn’t hold back. “There are other creatures other than faeries little Ella. There are the elves, the dwarves, the tree folk, the water spirits, the tree spirits which are practically the tree folk. Actually tree folk and tree spirits are the same thing! Then there are the air spirits, the fire spirits and then there are those annoying kelpies and the like that don’t belong to a court.” She sounded absolutely drunk and out of it. Rodan had his head in his hands as Reigner ranted about the other species.

  “Then there are different types of faeries. I am a water faery. There are plenty of other fey, all of which will take forever to name and we will surely forget them a good majority of them. But each faery that was made specifically for a court have special traits. The Light Court have precision and have complete elegance- that of the good kind. The Dark Court have ferociousness and the bad kind of elegance that can only be compared to the devil himself. The Summer Court are always radiant and they warm you up with just a simple smile but don’t let their warmth fool you for it can burn you easily. Then there is the Winter Court. They are opposite to Summer with coldness and they are all reserved people. They keep to themselves and they have a very cruel cold about them.” Laurel told me about the actual fey.

  “You talk about them so strangely. Whatever happened to saying that they are ‘stuck up and mean’ instead of saying what you just said!?” I said, appalled. I just managed to follow all of that. So these ‘people’ do have differences after all.