Chapter 12: Last Dying Wish

I am so sorry about this long awaited update, but I just got a little bit stuck with writing this story. I'm hoping I can get straight back into the swing of this story. I've still got the whole story line planned out and I even fixed up a few kinks :) Now enjoy! And again I'm super sorry

Last Dying Wish

  On the way to my aunt’s room Desmond felt it necessary to lecture me about the use of proper nouns.

  “You should not, under no circumstances, use a monarch’s or a royal advisor’s informal name,” He sternly said, his eyes faced forward. He was avoiding looking at me.

  “Why not? I get the whole formal thing in front of people, but why can’t I behind closed doors?”

  He sighed. “You can, but only with permission.”

  “Okay. Can I call you Dessy? Or must I stick to calling you Desmond?”

  “Desmond. Please.” He added please as an afterthought. I guess he’s not used to royalty as much.

  “Now I know your name, the other royal advisor’s name, a head gold leaf elf’s name. Any other important names I need to know?” It was taking a long time to get to my aunt’s chambers, but it was nice just walking alongside Desmond.

  “Your aunt’s name is Linda. The head of the guards is called Rex. Odd name but he was originally from your world. Then there is the head of the Gold Leaf Elves. His name is Regan, he is Reigner’s older brother. I hope that helps.”

  “Thank you. Do you mind if I ask what clan you are from?”

  His smile was slow. “My sister and I are from the woodland creatures’ clan. It is a mix of different creatures that roam the forest floor.”

  “What woodland creature are you?”

  He finally looked at me, even if it was out of the corner of his eye. “You must not tell anybody, it would ruin my reputation.”

  I smiled at him. “And who would I tell? The people I can probably already know.”

  He breathed a laugh. “I am a dormouse.”

  “A dormouse? Cute!”

  He stopped walking and just stared at me. I don’t think he liked being called cute.

  I burst out laughing and he relaxed slightly. He rolled his eyes- probably hoping I wouldn’t catch him- and resumed walking.

  I ran to catch up to him. “How come you don’t have little ears? Rodan has antlers because he is from the deer clans.”

  “I don’t have ‘little ears’ because in the woodland creatures’ clan we are all equals even though we are different animals so none of us show physical traits of our selected animal.”

  “Oh, that makes so much sense.”

  He turned to me again. “You don’t know much about the fey do you?”

  “Would it be a bad thing if I said no?”

  He shook his head with an amused smile on his lips. “No. I can teach you if you like. And I suppose I would probably have to teach you the old language. And anything else a queen needs to know.”

  “Wouldn’t Caterine teach me though since you’re new and all? And she’s been an advisor for I don’t know how long.” I’m not saying I don’t enjoy the fact he could possibly be my tutor but I didn’t understand, he was supposed to be newer.