Chapter 3

Teenage Tula

"Five, four, three, two one," Tula counted, looking at her watch. The bell rang exactly as she said one, earning smiles from Clary, Tara and Jessie. Clary and Tara walked out of the back door of Mr. K's class as Tula walked out the front with Jessie, to their first perod science class. The day flew by as she did the same things she'd always done in every class.

After school, she headed back to Mr. K's class, completely forgetting that her mom wasn't going to pick her up today and that she had to go home with her friend, Allie. Ten minutes later, she realized with a jolt that she hadn't gone with Allie and texted her mom, telling her that she was going to walk.

"Hey Tula!" said Jamie as he wizzed past on his bike. Tula smiled back and kept walking. Up ahead, she saw Stephanie and her friends. Walking slightly faster, she soon caught up to them. Tula walked along with the group for a bit, but her turning came, and she began to walk alone. As soon as she reached home she began to read the book she was dying to finish. Unfortunately for her, her mom didn't want her to read. "Tula! You just came home and you've already started reading? Do your homework first!"

Rolling her eyes, she pulled out her bag and began to work, only to be saved by Allie knocking on her door. Mentally saying, "Hah," to her mom, Tula opened the door, grabbed her badminton raquet and ran out to play. As Tula and Allie played, they told each other about everything that had happened. Like always, they complained about their classes and classmates and wished they were in the same class.

"I need some water," Allie said, "Come with me."

"Kay Al," Tula replied and they headed to Allie's house. They hadn't bargained for an angry and worried mom when they got there.

"Alison!" her mom yelled, "Have you seen Hailey?"

"Uh oh," Tula said, "She called you Alison. There's something really wrong."

"Yep," Allie replied as she yelled back to her mom, "No I haven't, we're going to go look!"

Five minutes of checking all her sister's favorite hangout spots paid off as Allie found Hailey and her friend in the area they called 'Starbucks'. After telling them to go back in front of Allie's house, Tula and Allie went back to play.