Chapter 23

Teenage Tula

"She's staying at Maya's house for now, but she can't stay there for too long, because her parents are old fashioned. That's where this gets complicated. She's coming to stay here, starting the day after tomorrow."

"What? You're joking, right?"

"No, I'm sorry Tula. You've got to sort out whatever happened with her, or you're in for one too many awkward conversations."

"Wait, so tell me if I've understood this properly. Erika likes Jay, but he likes me? That's why she doesn't like me, right?"

"Yeah."

"This is stupid. I don't even like him that way. Are you absolutely sure?"

"Yeah. Erika spoke to Jay and he told her."

"Okay, wow. Just wow."

"I know. Just go talk to her. She'll understand. It's not your fault anyway. Just be nice to her, and it'll sort itself out."

"I hope so. I don't want make her feel worse, on top of everything else that she's going through."

"Don't worry. It'll be okay."

"I really really hope so."

Albey smiled reassuringly as Tula contemplated her options. She didn't know Erika too well, but she did know Jay. She'd have to talk to him. "Ugh," she muttered under her breath as she stood up. "I need to take a run to clear my head. I'll be back in half an hour, tops."

"See ya!"

Tula went outside and quickly got into a steady pace. She ran to the park and back, and got back feeling much better. She hit the bed as soon as she entered Albey's room, and was fast asleep within seconds.

***

Tula was woken up by the first ray of light filtering between the blinds. The house was silent, and everyone was fast asleep. She brushed her teeth quickly and left Albey a note that she was going for a walk. She walked over to Jay's house and knocked on the door. Ethan opened it, sweat dripping down his face. "Hey Tula! Come on in! Jay and I just finished working out. We were just about to eat breakfast. Would you like to eat with us?"

"Sure."

"Okay! Hmmm... so what brings you here so early in the morning?"

"I need to talk to Jay."

"Oh. Why don't you two take a walk while I make breakfast?"

"That's a good idea. Where is he?"

"Here. Let's go," Jay called from the doorway.

The two of them walked to the park and sat down on the bench. "What's wrong?" Jay asked as Tula asked at exactly the same time, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Tell you what?"

"About the situation with Erika. She absolutely detests me. I thought we were friends. I thought you would tell me if something like this happened. How do you expect me to trust you if you keep something this big from me?"

"Wait, what?"

"You know she likes you, right?"

"Yeah. How does that make a difference to anything?"

"You don't like her back because you like someone else." It wasn't a question, it was a statement, and Jay made no attempt to deny it.

"So? Why are you making such a big deal out of this?"

Tula took several deep breaths and slowly calmed down. She didn't want to act in a hurry and say anything she didn't mean. "I can't believe I didn't see it before. I knew you liked someone, but I figured you'd tell me when you were ready. I was too dense to see that it was actually-"

"You," Jay interrupted, "Yes. I've always liked you, from the very first week. I would've told you, but I didn't want anything to spoil our friendship. I'm sorry you had to find out like this."

"I guess. What do you want to do about this now?"

"I know there's a very slight chance of this, but do you like me back?"

"I'm sorry, Jay. I hate to be that person, but I just don't feel the same way. Back to the problem. How are you handling the situation with Erika?"

"There's nothing I can do about it, Tula. I can't help how she feels. I can't help how I feel either!!"

"Fine. If you're going to be that way, I can be that way too. I'm going back to Albey's. Tell Ethan I'm sorry I didn't stay for breakfast. I'll see you at grad," Tula said, getting up and turning away. "Hopefully not!" she called over her shoulder as she walked away briskly from Jay, who was sitting on the bench, staring at her, frozen in shock.

***

"You just walked away after yelling at him?"

"For the millionth time, Albey. Yes! I walked away."

"It's not his fault, you know."

"Come one, Albey. None of this would have happened if he'd just told me before."

"Tula, how easy do you think it is to confess how you feel to your best friend when you're almost sure she doesn't return your feelings?"

"Hmmmm. But it wouldn't have changed anything. We'd still be friends, better friends, in fact."

"Maybe. But after what happened yesterday, I don't think he's ever going to believe that."

"Okay, it was partly my fault for yelling yesterday. I'll go apologize."

"Okay. I'm going back to my room to get ready."

Tula nodded and picked up her phone.

Hey.

Hi...?

I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for yelling yesterday. I know how hard it must have been for you, and I just made it worse.

It's fine.

I'm really sorry, Jayden.

It's fine, Tula!

Truce?

Truce.

Tula took a deep breath as she typed in her next message. She was willing to do anything to stop their fight.

Would you like to go to the grad dance together?

Are you sure?

Yep.

That would be great! I promise you'll have loads of fun, Tula!

Thank you.

No, thank you.

:)

Bye, then. Ttyl!

Byeee

Tula turned off her phone and walked to Albey's room. She sat on her bed, as the bathroom door opened and Albey walked out. "How did it go?"

"We're going to the grad dance together."

"As friends?"

"I'm not sure."

"Just, don't hurt him anymore, okay?"

"I won't, I promise."

"Well then, let's go shopping!!"

***

A/N: That was one intense chapter. I apologise for any mistakes. I'm half asleep. Anyway, I have a question. What do you think will happen at the grad dance?

I love you all!

-H