Chapter 5

Teenage Tula

Tula sat on her bed, completely engrossed in her book, when suddenly she realized the character in her book was actually doing exactly what she does- reading people's thoughts and emotions. For the first time, it struck her that she might not be the only one. Googling Empath and Talepath brought interesting results. Tula learnt that she was special even as one of the Gifted. Most Gifted only had one talent, but she had two. She was also special in another way. Most Telepaths needed to learn how to control their powers, but she mastered it so well that she could almost always turn in on and off at will.
"This is so cool," she thought as she read the whole article. Then, it struck her that she had to tell her friend Helen. Helen had been her best friend since they were three, but she now lived on all the way across the world.
Lennie you there?
Yup. What happened?
Sometimes Helen gave the impression of being able to read minds too, but Helen swears it's just Tula.
You know how I feel other's feelings and thoughts? There's actually a name for that.
Omg that is so cool!
Ikr!
What is it called?
Empath-telepath
Okay I'll look it up.
Okay cool. Gtg. Ttyl.
Bye! I love you!
Love you too!
Tula's mom called her for dinner right on cue. "Coming, ma," she said as she quickly closed her laptop and slipped her phone into her pocket.
"Keep the plates and water," her mom said as she made the rotis. Frowning at her mom, Tula did so.
Escaping from her dinner as soon as she could, Tula went back to her research. She was now learning tips to control her gifts.
For beginners:
Imagine a kind of bubble that reflects anything but your thoughts. Focus on it until it pushes out every thought that isn't yours. It's lasts only for about 12 hours.
More advanced:
Think of one memory that is really strong. Focus on it till it completely fills you. Every time you call upon the memory, all other thoughts will be pushed out. As long as the memory runs in your subconscious mind you will not here anybody else's thoughts.
"This explains why I can turn it on and off," Tula muttered, "I focus on Helen and it blocks everyone else out."