12) Better Left Unsaid

Hellooooooo. Before we start thank you so much for all the reads, votes, and comments. This was a while back but thank you 5secondsof_limelight for all your funny comments on both this book and my scenarios book I was dying of laughter reading all of them.

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

That night Xiao Ying went to eat dinner with her brothers, excited to see Xue Yang later. The three usually eat in silence, only speaking if they had night missions or lessons to talk about. Xiao Ying finished her meal quickly, wanting to hurry to her room to wait for Xue Yang, resulting in both her brothers being a little confused. She rushed to put away her dishes and left for her room, while Xichen gave Wangji a confused look. Wangji just looked back at him and continued eating, too tired to be bothered at the moment.   

Xiao Ying got ready for the night and sat in front of her mirror combing through her silky, long, black hair. Once she felt everyone was asleep, she slowly tiptoed out of her room and snuck out to the gate. 

She looked around and whispered. "Xue Yang? Xue Yang? Are you here?"

From behind the bush, he popped out. "I'm right here. I had to hide because I came a little early. Disciples were leaving for a night hunt."

"That's alright. What do you want to do tonight?"

"I have something to show you. Come on." 

Xiao Ying took Xue Yang's hand and followed his lead. 

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

   The two continued their walk until they came upon a field just South of the Cloud Recesses gate.

"Xue Yang? What are we doing here? It's just a field."

"It IS just a field. But you have to be willing to see all the things it has to offer."

Xue Yang brushed his hands through the tall grass and fireflies began to fly out of the blades.

"Wow! I thought it was too cold at night in Gusu for fireflies! I guess not! Then again I don't get to leave Cloud Recesses and explore very often."

Xue Yang just smiled at Yi Ying as he took her hand and the two ran through the fields, awakening the fireflies and making them glow. The two giggled and smiled as if they were children again. In this moment, nothing else mattered. Not the lecture, not Xue Yang's mission, not that the two are from rival clans, and not that Xue Yang was no longer the same boy Yi Ying used to know. The only thing that mattered was that they were together, and that was enough. 

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

The two eventually got tired and sat down. Xue Yang laid back onto the grass with his arms out to the side, content with the moment.

Xiao Ying debated on whether or not to ask Xue Yang about what Wen Qing said. I might as well get it over with now. I might not have a chance to ask him again. 

"Xue Yang?"

"Hmm?"

"Today, I ran into Wen Qing after our lecture."