Chapter 8: an enigma of a boy

I walked down the extensive halls to Brahms' room hauling the cleaning supplies and disinfectants over my shoulder.

While Brahms was busy cleaning outside, it was about time I got the chance to see the state of his room without him as a distraction.

I used the cleaning supplies as a doorstop to let in some sunlight in his pitched dark room that hid a huge mess of clothing piles and weird little mementos I will ask him about later.

I figured his room would look like such a mess after a while since his overbearing parents always took care of it.

At least it didn't smell too bad.

***

I left a lit candle on his bed stand to smother the smell of dried blood with vanilla.

I was pleased with my deep cleaning skills since his unkempt room became the cleanest it has ever been in a while.

Despite looking clean on the outside, I was afraid to find out what he hides inside of his closet, since the outside did look bad enough already.

I pulled open the closet doors to find covered paintings collecting dust, weirdly shaped tools likely taken illegally, and . . . some of my things?

A light blue outing ( formal outfit of choice) fitted itself on a body pillow with a concerning 'smile' stitched onto what appears on the face of it. Items from my room I brought along with me, My shoes, jewelry, and clips were placed strategically in the closet in a way that was . . . very confusing.

" Pretty y/n, I was going to return them eventually." he stood unexpectedly close behind me, practically soundless as he entered. His sudden alarming presence caused me to jump a bit.

" You know what? You can just . . . keep them." I mentally noted to just take a visit to the shops in town for new items, since I don't think I would use them after the state I found them in.

After moments of silence, brahms stood inches away from me, looking down to accommodate our height difference. ( Brahms is apparently over 6 feet! Real height is unknown; but he is tall.)

" I was looking for you to tell you I finished cleaning the garden y/n." His eyes danced with amusement, though I couldn't tell what was really going on inside his head at the moment. His new mask blocked his most expressive features, and I would hate to admit it, I miss seeing his face instead of being hidden under a stoned-expression mask. " Now that I am done, can I choose my reward now?"

His childish joy returned again, as if the bodies didn't litter the garden just hours ago. Moments like these had always made me wonder, who was his first victim. Was he scared at the time, or was he joyful as usual?

He seems to be comfortable about cleaning up bodies, as if it was a chore or a game to him.

"y/n?" I felt him grab my arm, in an attempt to focus my attention back to him. He examined my face for a moment, before he spoke. " Before we discuss my reward, I wanted to mention, I Remembered earlier you asked me something. You asked me . . . why did I spare you?"

I was quite confused as to why he brought it up once again, especially right now, nonetheless. I decided to go along with what he was going with, since he would either tell me in full extent, or never mention it again.

" Yes of course I do, I-"

"Why did you ask me that, y/n?" I felt a bit of panic rise inside me, I couldn't understand whether he brought it up out of interest, or if he was truly questioning my trust. I tried to internally hold the knots in my stomach, since I wouldn't want to embarrass myself, especially in front of him.

" When I first came here, your, well your mother mentioned you had previous people to watch over the mansion. But they never really stayed long enough because you didn't like them. But you didn't turn me away, so . . . why was that?"

He let go of my hand, and sat down on his bed.

" Come here, y/n." He patted the fitted sheet next to him. I sat down on the bed and listened intently.

" They were . . . horrible people, y/n. They didn't follow the "rules" and all were the same. Until you came along, you were different. I decided to keep you around and make sure no one gets in the way otherwise. It's hard to explain, but you would understand someday"

A bit regretful of the question that had been brought up, I looked out the window to the now fresh garden, with strategically placed water sprinklers that replaced the clumps of blood on the grass. The time had swept away from the afternoon so I stood up to get ready for bed and avoid further discussion.

"wait" He grabbed my arms with a force, and brought me down back on the bed. " My reward! I want you to sleep with me tonight as my reward, please."

***

Thank you for waiting! I took a while to update the next chapter, and I returned with this poorly written short one, so I'm so sorry for that. I will try to become consistent with updates, I will aim for updating every Friday or in less time. :) Just a reminder I accept any one-shot or writing requests at any time btw :D.