spencer reid blurb: birthday confessions (fluff/slight angst)

based on this request: Can you do a fic where it's the reader's birthday and everyone forgets (or just doesn't acknowledge it) and Spencer goes to her place to basically say he didn't forget and confess his love for her/them.

it was your birthday today. it wasn't a particularly special one, but for some reason, you were excited about it. your day had started off great, you'd even managed to catch the fast train into quantico, which meant you'd gotten to the office early, even managing to stop and get coffee and pastries for the team, a sweet gesture, you were sure they'd be grateful for.

although no one had wished you a happy birthday as they collected their breakfast, you simply put it down to them not being fully awake yet. so you didn't let that deter you from your chipper mood, not even when hotch announced that today would be paperwork day, quite literally the most tedious part of the job.

the rest of the day passed slowly, jokes were thrown around the bullpen and piles of folders were passed around, primarily to spencer, who took them with no hesitation. as time went on, you were feeling more like they'd completely forgotten your birthday, truthfully you weren't the biggest fan of birthdays, yet it still hurt that no one had remembered it.

you thought to yourself for a moment, wondering if it was all a ruse and that there was secretly a party being planned, it was vain to think so, but they'd done it to the others before, so you didn't have much of a reason to doubt they would do it for you. however, as the day rolled to an end, paperwork diminishing, and people leaving to return home to their families. you realised they had indeed forgotten all about your not so special, special day.

you tried to mask the disappointment on your face, not wanting to draw concern from the members of your team that were still lingering out, which at this time was just spencer. but he was quick to catch the way your face dropped as Penelope, the one person you'd thought would surprise you by remembering, walked away.

"are you ok?" he asked you, he looked sad, and it made you want to laugh, you didn't mean to be bitter, you were just upset and, truthfully, kind of embarrassed.

"yeah, just tired s'all." you replied, looking back down to your papers, trying to rush through the last few and get back home. you heard spencer hum before getting up to walk towards you. you felt your heart rate pick up as he neared you, and you prayed he wouldn't be able to hear the way it was beating out of your chest.

"go home." he said, lifting up the remaining files on your pile and taking them back to his desk. you dropped your pen, your jaw dropping slightly.

"n-no its ok, I can finish them." you said, trying to reach over to his desk and take back your files. but he just pulled them closer to him.

"its fine y/n, i don't mind." he said, brushing you off and getting back to his work. you sat there for a moment, contemplating walking over to him and taking back your files. but you know he wasn't lying when he said he didn't mind doing them, so you got up and got ready to leave.

"thank you spencer." you said, stopping by his desk before you left. it was stupid to do so, but some small part of you was still clinging on to the hope that he would remember your birthday. but he didn't.

"enjoy your evening y/n." is all he said, waving to you as you walked away. you felt stupid for it, but you felt your heart break at that moment.

you'd ended up missing the last quick train back to where you lived, ending up sat next to a man who smelt like stale cigarettes and an old grandma who wouldn't stop poking you with her elbow. it was funny, actually... how quickly your day had turned into complete shit.

just as luck would have it, the elevator in your building had broken down that afternoon, and you were forced to climb up 15 flights of stairs back to your apartment. you were a mess when you got back into your home, dropping your bag and coat on the ground, throwing your shoes into some corner and collapsing onto the couch. you cried, it was dumb, and you felt childish for doing so, but you cried. pained by the fact that your closest friends, the people you called family...the guy you'd had a crush on for longer than you could remember had all forgotten your birthday.

you weren't sure how it'd happened, but you fell asleep on the couch, still dressed in your work clothes. you were awoken by the sound of your doorbell ringing, you sat up quickly...slightly panicked. your hand grazed across the gun in your pocket, keeping it close just in case your surprise visitor turned out to be some kind of murderer.

except it wasn't a murderer. it was spencer. he was holding a bag full of what you could only assume to be chinese takeout in one hand and a large bouquet of flowers in the other. "I'm an idiot." he said, a sheepish grin plastered across his face. "happy birthday y/n."

"thank you spencer." you smiled as you gestured for him to come in, apologising for the mess. he followed you into the kitchen, setting down the bags and the flowers on the counter. you did quick work of finding a vase and filling it with water before placing it in the centre of the table.

"i'm so sorry, there's no excuse for not remembering your special day." he said, walking closer to you.

"it's fine spence, don't worry about it." you said, but he could hear the sadness in your tone.

"it's not fine, were upset about something and i should've realised it sooner." you shook your head at his words, trying to reassure him that it was fine, but the tears welling up in your eyes deceived you. "oh y/n...please don't cry...i hate seeing you sad."

"why?" you asked before you could stop yourself. it was a valid question, though. you couldn't imagine why it would upset spencer to see you sad, you guys were work friends, sure...but he'd been the one person whose friendship level you'd been unsure of.

his hand came up to your face, cupping your cheek in his palm and using his thumb to wipe away your tear. you were more than confused, wondering why someone with such an aversion to touch, even with the people closest to him, was holding you so tenderly.

"spencer..." you said, your voice shaky from both crying and the feeling of shock that was washing over you. he lifted your face gently, so you were looking directly at him, his eyes boring into yours with such intensity you felt a shiver run down your spine.

"i like you y/n...as more than a friend." his words came out hushed, barely a whisper, but you heard him. loud and clear. your own hand moved to clasp his, your mouth opening and shutting as you tried to think of a response. but you couldn't think of anything... other than one question.

"can i kiss you." you asked, and he understood. knowing this was your way of reciprocating those feelings he'd just confessed to. he smiled at you, wide leaning in slowly. his thumb grazed against your cheek as his lips neared your own. he was so close you could smell the fresh mint on his breath as he spoke.

"anything for the birthday girl."