new years • mgg (angst + fluff)

MGG X Reader

Warnings: angst? matthews a dick n reader forgives too easily.

"Hey babe, are you ready?" you called out to Matthew, who was lounging in the living room, scrolling through his phone. It was new years eve, and the two of you were getting ready to go out and meet your friends at some bar downtown.

You heard Matthew huff before getting up from the couch and walking over to you, "Why do we have to go again?" he asked, shoving his phone into his pocket.

"Because..." you said, opening the door to see if the taxi you'd ordered was outside, "...our friends invited us out and we haven't seen them in a while so it's only fair we go. now stop pouting and let's go, the cars here." you began walking to the car. He followed behind you, mumbling something incoherent.

The journey was unusually quiet. You weren't sure what was wrong with Matthew, but he seemed to be in a bad mood which had shifted your vibe as well. "Hey, are you ok?" You asked him. You just wanted him to cheer up and enjoy new years with everyone.

"It's nothing, I'm fine don't worry." He replied, giving you a half-smile and a look that told you that probing further would be pointless. The two of you reached the club soon after, entering quickly after the bouncer had recognised Matthew. Sometimes dating a famous actor had its perks.

You were greeted with a cheer, "Hey guys." you said, the both of you taking a seat at the booth the group had rented out. You looked down at the table, noticing an array of colourful glasses and bottles. "'Ooo drinks!"

"A whiskey for the gentleman and a margarita for the lady," Paget said, handing you the drinks she'd ordered for you, which you happily accepted. The conversation was flowing well, everyone exchanging stories of what they'd been up to in the few months they'd been apart.

"So...." Your friend began to speak. She'd noticed that Matthew wasn't interacting with the group, so she directed her next question towards him. "How's filming going, Gube?"

Matthew didn't seem too enthusiastic to answer, but he did anyway. "It's good." His glum tone made you sigh. What had him in such a bad mood today?

As though AJ could sense your mood deflating, she quickly asked you a question. "Do you wanna go and dance?" She suggested. For a second, you turned to Matthew, about to ask if he wanted to join you. But he was on his phone again, the same sullen look was on his face, so you just looked back at AJ and nodded.

You guys danced for a while, the DJ playing some classic throwbacks. It was fun, you'd missed hanging out with them, and you were glad you weren't letting Matthew ruin your evening. Eventually, AJ ventured off to find her husband, leaving you to dance on your own, and you decided it was time to ask Matthew if he wanted to dance. It was weird to see him glued to his phone. His whole life motto was to stay from screens and live in the moment.

You walked back towards the booth and sat next to him. "Babe, come down, and dance with me please?" You had your best puppy dog eyes on, the ones that always worked. Except for today... he looked at you for a moment before rolling his eyes.

"I'm not in the mood, you'll be fine by yourself." He said, dismissing you and going back to his phone. You were speechless. It was one thing to say no... you wouldn't have been upset at that, but the way he had brushed you off left you feeling unsettled, almost embarrassed.

You wordlessly walked back to the dance floor, deciding to push the conversation out of your mind and just go back to enjoying yourself. After a few songs, you forgot about Matthew, simply losing yourself in the music. As you closed your eyes, you felt a pair of hands grab onto your waist. You assumed it was your boyfriend, so you whispered, "Nice of you to finally join me," as you began to dance against him. His hands ran up and down your body, and you let it happen, pressing yourself closer to him. That was until you felt someone pull at your arm; you opened your eyes to see Matthew seething as he dragged you from the dancefloor. You could feel people around you staring as you tried to release his grip on you, murmurs started to float around the room, and you felt yourself sobering up quicker than you would've liked for this situation.