- Chapter 14 -

*Phone Buzz*

Trying to maintain my speed as I hurry to meet Eden outside the library, I reach my hand down into the back pocket of my jeans to retrieve my phone. I expect to see the caller ID as Eden considering I'm running late but it's an unknown number.

I slow down my pace when I reach the end of the path that will lead me to the library and spot Eden talking to her classmate Clara. I use the time it takes me to close the gap between us to regain my breath.

Eden doesn't notice me until I'm metres  away, giving me a small smile then continues her conversation with Clara when she does eventually see me. I take a seat on the stairs and gulp down the whole of my water bottle as I wait for her to finish her conversation. Within a minute, Eden is sat beside me as Clara turns to give a wave to the both of us as she walks down the stairs.

I can't bring myself to look in Edens direction. I'm completely unsure how to approach this situation. All I can bring myself to do is say a simple hello.

I can see Eden shuffling leg to leg in the corner of my eye. I take a deep breath to gain the courage I need to deliver my best apology but I'm cut off.

"I'm not mad." Eden says, through an exhale of breath. Despite, her confession the words I'm sorry slip out like word vomit.

"I'm so sorry Eden. It wasn't my place t-"

"Stop. I'm not mad Sienna." Although her words are telling me she's ok I suppose about the whole disagreement her facial expressions tell another story. Her shoulders are tensed and her cheeks are red. All signs that point to Eden being mad, pissed even. Why won't she talk about it?

"We shouldn't have spoken to you the way that we did but we're worried about you."

"It's fine." She says bluntly.

"Eden...we-"

"I said it's fine."

Unsure how to continue I stay silent, tapping my index finger on my thigh, knowing that it's the opposite of fine.

"Are we ok?"

Throughout the conversation her face has remained neutral, as soon as those three words leave my lips, her face breaks into a smile. Usually, I would be relieved but I'm too confused to feel anything but that.

"Of course we are."

"But...I-I don't understand. You left without saying anything and haven't answered any of our messages in the group chat."

"Well, I was pissed. Not for what you said but how you guys said it. In all honesty, I wanted to give you both a hard time for talking to me the way that you did. It really hurt my feelings and that's why I left."

"I'm sorry and I know Jocelyn is sorry too." Eden laughs at the mention of her name. "She was super pissed huh." Eden asks.

"We were just worried. We know Vince is a bad guy and we don't want anything to happen to you."

"Can I tell you the truth?" Her tone has changed completely along with her facial expression. No longer looking mad or whatever happy she was moments ago; she focuses her eye gaze down at her hands.

"Eden of course you can."

"You're right. Vince is a complete asshole and I'm a huge idiot for getting involved with him again. I-I wish I" her voice breaks. I look over to her and her eyes are filled with tears edging to be released. I take her hand in mine, while she uses her free hand to wipe away a singular tear that manages to escape. "I wish someone else loved me. But I don't think anyone else ever will." Eden breaks her hand away from mine. Placing both her palms on her face then she slumps down so that her upper body and head is resting on her thigh. I move my hand and rub her back lightly. "Eden...I don't think that's true. Someone else will. You're nineteen, you and I have plenty of time."