- Chapter 20 -

The music and laughter coming from inside have no luck in beckoning me to go back in. The numerous cabs at a standstill in evening traffic on the other hand draws me home. I know how pathetic I must look right now. Stubbornly wanting nothing more than to leave a perfect party that is being held for me because the person I like left. 

Perhaps, this is why a crush is called a crush, all they seem to do is leave you dealing with the aftermath of their presence, always crumbling away into nothingness. No matter the good surrounding you, all you’ll see is them. 

“Sienna!” I hear Jocelyn shout followed by the sound of someone honking their car horn. Following the direction of the car horn, I see Jocelyn running across the busy street, slamming her hand down on the hood of a car that I can only presume belongs to the impatient driver. Not taking a second glance back as she reaches the sidewalk Jocelyn lets out a few cuss words then smiles up at me. 

“Hey...Everything ok?” She asks. I look towards the road expecting to see Liam following behind but as soon as my sights settle back on Jocelyn, I remember seeing him by the bar before coming outside.

“Where did you go?” I can’t help but blurt out, ignoring her question towards me. 

“Shop.” She quickly replies. “Let’s go back in.” Taking my hand in hers, Jocelyn leads me back inside. 

I notice Brody and Eden dancing with one another. Some part of me wants to play matchmaker with the two of them. Brody is the perfect gentlemen for Eden and Eden is elegantly perfect for Brody. They would be a power couple. What stopping me is that they don’t like each other in that way at all. They knew each other way before I met either of them as their families run in the same social circle. If something were to happen it would have done, I hope. And if they ever show any inkling of liking each other, I will be in full support of being both their cupids.

*Phone Buzz*

An Unkown number flashes up on the screen of my phone. Without a second thought, I answer it in the hopes that it’s Cole. That miraculously he has my number and wants to talk to me because after all it’s still my birthday and that would be a kind enough gesture to do on this specific day. 

“Hello?” I turn away from everyone back towards the door, I cover my left ear with my hand in the hopes of drowning out the rest of the room. 

“Hello...Anyone there?” I can’t hear anything. Not even the sound of someone breathing on the other side of the call. 

I don’t get the chance to say anything else as the line gets cut off. Maybe it was just a wrong number and nothing more. 

I need to get myself together. Why should I waste away the rest of this evening hoping for him to reach out, I shouldn't, I won’t. 

The sound of save tonight by eagle-eye cherry begins to play. It’s as though the universe is speaking to me in some way. I need to savour tonight and enjoy what's left of my day with my friends. With that in mind, I walk over to the dance floor and begin to dance. 

I dance and dance and dance. Taking Brody’s hand as he twirls me around, sandwiching between Eden and Jocelyn to one of our favourite songs, laughing at Clementine's and Jefferys crazy dance moves, dance battle against Liam and jump to the beat of every fast pace song that plays, along with everyone else. 

I dance until my feet ache, the nights over and I’m ushered into the back of an uber with Eden and Jocelyn. 

The drive home consists of an endless number of drunk giggles from the three of us as well as drunken renditions to any song we hear playing on the radio. Jocelyn leans forward to talk to the driver to indicate where he can stop to drop us off on our street.

And, there he is like a distant dream or more so a nightmare, re-emerging now that he's no longer a second thought of mine.

Sat with his knees bent, arms resting on them so that he can hold his head in his hands is Cole.

For once, I don't think I care what he has to say. I just want to keep this night the way that it is right now, I want to stay content with the night I've just had.