1 -

* Most Chapters will be first person, other than this one. I'll always notify when it's OMNISCIENT . Enjoy*

"Don't you know, I was yours' from the very day. That you happened to come my way." A young Toni sung as she walked barefooted along a small creek. Learning such song from her mother, the six year old continued to hum the slow melody to herself. The cool summer breeze softly brushed against the now running child's arms. Guiding her along the calm creek steadily. Her bright yellow sundress complemented her bronze skin, while the sun gave it a soft glow.

Finally coming to a stop at her favorite rock she rested upon it. Her feet tapped lightly in the water, while her toes sat coated in a small coat of mud that would soon wash away. Toni's chest heaved up and down quickly as she caught her breath. Looking through the tall trees and up at Gods creations she smiled. Big white clouds filled in the sky with perfection.

"Toni Michele Braxton! You've got less than 15 seconds to get back on this door step!" A women yelled from the small house. Quickly Toni jumped up and ran full speed back to her home. There awaited a very angry mother of her's.

"Sorry, mother" the frightened child apologized. Mrs.Evelyn cut her eyes at her daughter, tapping her foot against the ground with her arms folded across her chest.

"What have I told you about leaving the house without shoes on? I don't know why you enjoy that creek so many anyway, it's nasty!" The annoyed mother scolded. Toni looked down at her muddy and bare feet while pulling at her fingers.

"I won't do it anymore." Toni apologized again. Her mother let out a sigh before softening her facial expression. She placed her hand upon her daughter's shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"It's fine honey. Go inside and freshen up, Katherine is coming and she's bringing her daughter. Hopefully you'll like her. The child looked up into her mother's soft hazel eyes and gave a small smile. Mrs.Evelyn gave a smile in return before guiding her only child into the house. Up the stairs Toni ran, very eager to meet the new person her mother previously spoke of she freshened up in the washroom.

Mrs.Evelyn returned inside and straightened up the living room. If even a flower pot was out of place her house wasn't presentable. As she continued to clean; fluff pillows and sweep already pristine carpets the door bell rung.

"Mother?!" Toni yelled from the bathroom.

"Its fine darling, I've got it." Ms. Evelyn yelled back. Quickly she walked to the door and opened it. There stood her dear friend Mrs. Katherine Jackson. A soft gasp and a bright smile came from both Evelyn and Katherine as they leaned in for a hug and a small kiss. 

"Kat?! You look stunning, honey. What's the diet?" Evelyn playfully hit her best friends shoulder. The two old friends laughed.

"It's been nothing but God and a little bit of stress, my friend." Ms. Evelyn moved to the side and allowed her friend and the child; who had been standing silently, to walk inside.

The women walked into the living room and made themselves comfortable on the couches. They caught up on lost time, laughed about old jokes, some new, and of course they gossiped. The very shy child clung closely to her mother. Patiently waiting for her turn to be addressed. She wasn't familiar with the setting nor the people in it.

"Oh, E excuse my rudeness. This is my daughter Janet. Say hello to Ms.Evelyn honey." Katherine ordered nicely. The child only gave her mother a few pleading eyes before slowly waving at Ms.Evelyn, who in return chuckled softly and waved back.

"I have a daughter who'd love to play with you. Do you want me to call for her?" Evelyn bent down slightly to be eye level with the child. Once again Janet just looked at her mother for an answer and received none. So instead she simply shook her head and let go of her mothers fingers, so that she could pull at her own.

"Michele? Get down here, we have guest!" Evelyn yelled softly towards the stairs. Instead of answering the Toni just graciously flew down the stairs. Her freshly pressed pink dress following after her.

"Hello, Ms.Katherine" Toni spoke softly, she walked over to her mother's friend and planted a kiss upon her cheek. Kathrine laughed lightly and returned the favor with a side hug.

"This is my daughter Janet, can you play with her?" Kathrine slowly pushed Janet towards Toni. Again, Janet spoke no words but instead smiled shyly and waved. Toni's smile grew brightly as she looked her new friend over.

"Hi, Janet. My names Toni. Wanna be friends?" She asked enthusiastically. As usual Janet looked back at her mother for the okay and as usual she never got an answer. Toni stuck her hand out for Janet to grab and she did so.

"Yay" Toni mumbled to herself before taking off to her play room in the back of the house. Janet's eyes grew wide as she tried her best to keep up. The two children stopped at the only door in the hallway and opened it. Inside was every toy a child could ask for and then some. From dolls and dresses, to trucks and action figures. Toni was a well rounded child when it came to playing with any type of Toys. The trucks were and still are her favorite.

A very shy and timid Janet stood in awe as she glanced over the room. To her it was very large, having no idea where to began she watched Toni play with a dark red teddy bear.

"Do you want to play with one?" Toni held a dark green bear out for Janet to take. She shook her head yes very slowly before walking over and taking the teddy. It's fur was emerald green bear with a black suit and white buttons. Around its neck was a lighter shade of green tie. Janet smiled at it as she sat down across from her new friend.

"How old are you?" Toni asked as she made her bear dance around near Janet, causing her to laugh. Still refusing to talk Janet held up seven fingers. Toni tapped each one as she counted.

"1 2 3 4 5 6 7. You're seven?" She doubled checked. Janet shook her head yes.

"Im six." Toni said. There was an awkward moment of silence as the young girls continued to play with the teddy bears.

"Why don't you talk?"

Janet shrugged her shoulders. Toni tiled her head to the side in question and raised her eyebrows.

"Do you know how to talk?"

Janet nodded her head yes.

"So why don't you?" Toni folded her arms across her chest in question.

"I.. I'm told not to." A timid Janet spoke softly with her head to the ground. Toni only became more puzzled.

"Mommy says it's rude not to look at someone when they're talking to you." Toni informed her shy friend. Janet pulled at her ear as she looked up at Toni.

"Sorry."

"It's okay, I do it sometimes too. You can talk to me, I like talking". Toni gave a bright smile and Janet reciprocated it.

"But what if you don't like what I say?" Janet inquired.

"Well.. I don't know."

"Will you be mad?"

"No."

The girls smiled at one another before resuming their playing. With passing time the two quickly became the best of friends. Laughing and playing. With nothing but giggles and more smiles with a hint of conversation. The start of quiet the interesting friendship some might say.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hello guys, welcome to my story!

Leave a comment on what you think and please vote. I'd appreciate it❤️‍🩹.