12 -

"Go upstairs and bathe. You reek of outside." Spoke Katherine. The eight year old looked up at her mother and nodded her head.

"Now Katherine, you didn't have to yell at the girl like that!" Argued Evelyn. Katherine looked over at her and kissed her teeth.

"And how would you have handled it, E?" Asked Katherine. Evelyn looked at the child then back up at her mother.

"Well, I wouldn't treat her in that manner. Toni does the same thing, they're only eight!" Said Evelyn. Katherine scoffed and waved her child off, who turned and walked upstairs.

"Are you okay, Jan?" Asked Toni. She seen the tears in Janet's eyes as she walked back into the room, Janet nodded her head no.

"Why not?" Toni asked, Janet didn't answer. For when ever she was disciplined by her mother she'd stop talking. Sometimes for days and others, hours. Instead the poor girl walked into the bathroom and ran herself a shower. Toni watched from the door in silence.

It wasn't the first time she seen her friend treated like this, and it for sure wasn't the first time she'd reacted like this either.

"Do you need help?" Asked Toni. Janet turned to face her concerned friend and shook her head side to side. Wiping another tear in the process.

"Okay.." Toni said, turning around and going downstairs to her mothers room. Katherine head went to the guest bathroom and Evelyn sat in her room alone.

"Mother?" Whispered Toni. Evelyn looked away from her tv and at her child.

"Yes, Dear?" She responded. Toni pulled at her fingers and looked around for any sight of her friend's mother. When finding none she then walked closer to her own mother.

"Why does Mrs.K make Jan cry all the time?" Toni asked her mother. Evelyns face changed, it grew sorrowful and conflicted.

"What do you mean, baby?" She asked, as if she didn't already know exactly what her child meant.

"She makes Janet sad, and then she stops talking. I don't like when she's sad, it makes me sad." Toni admitted. Mrs.Evelyn had no idea what to say to her daughter. She didn't even know how to make sense of the situation.

"I don't know, Toni." She shook her head in slight shame.

"Can you talk to her, mother? You always make me feel better when I'm sad." Toni smiled at her own idea. Ms.Evelyn agreed, instructing Toni to return to her room she entered the bathroom.

As she opened the door she knocked softly.

"Janet.." she called softly. No response. Instead she heard the shower turn off and feet pattering on the floor. Once she opened the door Mrs.Evelyn saw the child wrapping a towel around herself.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." She said with a chuckle. Mrs.Evelyn's smile faded once she seen the child's arms. Covered in black and blue bruises. She gasped and covered her mouth in horror. Slowly she walked closer, softly grabbing the eight year olds arm and examined them closely.

"Honey, who did this to you??" She whispered softly. Tears swelled the young girls eyes. Janet shook her head, remembering her mother's words on not to tell a soul. Fear within her eyes.

"It's okay. You can tell me." Evelyn pleaded, she wiped the child's tears away. Only causing more to fall.

"Jo—Joseph." The little girl whispered. Her voice barely audible. Evelyns face grew even more horrified.