10 -

Toni <3

"Mother?!" I called through the house once opening the door. I set my book back on couch and went into the kitchen, there both mother and father stood at the stove. While she stirred various pots, he stood near by giving commentary. Occasionally washing dishes and moving heavy and hot pots.

"Hello, dear." Said father. Walking over and giving me a hug. I hugged him back than mother. She kissed the top of my head before putting her attention back to her food.

"How was school?" Asked father, I opened the fridge and grabbed some apple slices.

"Good, rather boring today. How was work?" I asked, sitting on a stool at the island.

"It was good, I can't wait for my retirement." Father chuckled. I shook my head at him with a smile before biting an apple slice. I looked at the calendar and my eyes widened.

"Oh my gosh, it's the 27th!" I exclaimed while standing from my seat.

"I'm glad you keep track of the date, honey." Joked mother. I playfully rolled my eyes and checked the time.

"No mother, Janet comes back!" A bright smile formed on my face. I haven't seen or spoken to her in at least two months. She seems busy with the show and all so I try not to feel too hurt about it. But she's my best friend so it's fine.

"Can we go pick her up this time?" I asked, poking my bottom lip out and showing the best pleading eyes I could make. Both mother and father exchanged knowing looks. Leaving me there in confusion.

"Uh—you know Katherine usually brings Janet over.. we should keep the routine." Said father, I frowned my eyebrows at him.

"But I wanna see her house. Don't you think it's weird that I've known her since I was six and have never seen her home?" I said playfully, eating another apple slice. It doesn't seem like much of s big deal. why are they making it one..?

"How about I call Kat, and make sure it's okay. Yeah?" I sighed in defeat and agreed. I went upstairs and changed into something more presentable. A short, but still presentable emerald green dress. Janet's favorite color of course. When I walked downstairs mother had just hung up the phone. Once she'd realize I was standing here she smiled at me.

"Come on, we're going to her Janet." My eyes lit up as I yelled from excitement. Quickly I grabbed my things and ran out to the car, I could hear mother laughing as she followed behind.

Janet <3

Mother said Toni is coming to get me this time. I could tell by the look on her face she hated it. We'd just gotten back from shooting a few scenes for Good Times, and as usual she was in a bad mood. The fact that Toni and Evelyn are coming over must have made it worse. Part of me hated it too, she'd have to see me around my parents. Which was no at all comfortable. Mother told me to go upstairs, so that I wouldn't be a bother to my brothers. Who had been practicing for a show. And I did just as she ordered.

I went into the bathroom and lifted my shirt in the mirror. Staring at my body in pure disgust. Covered in cut and bruises I felt worse about my self then before I'd even walked in here. Looking at myself I didn't see Janet, I saw a shell. Somewhere Janet used to be but was now lost somewhere, maybe fighting. Or maybe she'd just given up completely.

Tears filled my eyes as my reflection looked back at me. I opened a cabinet where I hid the small tube of numbing cream one of my brothers had given to me. Slowly I applied the cream to the many bruises, occasionally wincing from the pain.

"Janet!" Mother called from downstairs. Making me jump and drop the tube on the floor. I slowly bent down to pick it up. Groaning from the aching in my back. I adjusted my clothes as quickly as my body would allow and returned downstairs.

"Yes, Mother?" I answered while declining the stairs. She sat on couch and curved her finger in a "come here" motion and I did so. I stood in front of her, waiting to be addressed.

"Evelyn convinced me to allow Toni and her over as you know. You will not mention any of today's events to them. Understand?" She glared at me. I nodded my head up and down then started pulling at me ear. Mother yawned and scratched her chin.

"Good, now go cover that eye with some makeup. You look hideous. I'll be in my room sleeping. Don't do anything you'll regret. Your father will surely find out." With that she waved me off and up the stairs I flew. Returning to the bathroom with tears streaming down my face. How am I supposed to hide all of these scars from Toni..? I had very little time to think about it, just as I finished covering my bruised eye the doorbell rung. And of course it Toni..

~~~~~

I don't like this chapter, and I doubt you like it either—

It's rather short, honestly.

Um, how do you think Janet will get through the next events with Toni?

Vote and comment your thoughts, please💞.