14 -

Omniscient <3

Janet held onto her best friend for as long as she'd allow. Longing for her touch, the one thing that made her feel secure and safe even after all these years. Toni Michele Braxton was and still is Janet's home. No matter who tried to take her away, somehow she knew she'd return. Then she pulled away, tears threatened to fall. Janet's body ran cold, just like it was before the hug. Now time for the hard part. Explaining.

Toni looked up at her Long lost best friend, her eyes said everything she didn't. Janet knew she'd have to speak first, based off how Toni ignored her meant her petty strike has only grown stronger.

"Miche—"

"Why?" Toni cut her off. Her voice low and at a soft whisper. Never moving her gaze from Janet's soft brown eyes, she asked again.

"Why? Why did you leave me.." her words trailed off as she felt a ball of tears forming in her throat.

"I had to.." Janet wiped her cheeks of the tears that escaped her eyes.

"That doesn't explain why.. I needed you." Toni felt that anger boiling inside her again, the one that took years upon years to get rid of.

"I.. I'm sorry.. was all Janet could manage to say.

Refusing to go back into the dark place, Toni inhaled softly, wiping her eyes before her tears could fall. Slowly she backed away from Janet.

"Oh—well. Did mother call you? I told her to stay away from the phones.." Toni said while pacing the kitchen floor, straightening up the small mess her mother made earlier. Confused by the drastic change in conversation Janet rubbed the side of her neck.

"N—no. I came on my own. I heard about what happened and wanted to check in before my tour." Said Janet, she felt ashamed.

"It only took what, ten years..?" Toni thought to herself.

"Thank you, she most definitely needed the company." Indeed Toni did appreciate Janet's gesture. That smile on her mothers face was one she hadn't seen in quiet some time.

"Don't mention it."

It was awkward, the two women who always knew how to hold a conversation with one another had nothing to say. Nothing to say out loud to say the least. Janet leaned against the island and watched as her best friend cleaned a mess that was never truly there.

"So, you're married now?" Asked Janet, trying to build conversation.

"Yup."

"To... Bree?"

"That'd be correct. Almost a year and a half we've been marr—" Toni was cut off my her mother calling her name. Quickly she ran into the room to find her sitting up in bed.

"Yes, mother? You're supposed to be asleep." Said Toni. Evelyn sucked her teeth and waved her daughter off.

"I'm a grown women, young lady. Now where's my remote. I want to watch my late night shows." Evelyn demanded her daughter give her the television remote. Just as Evelyn turned on the tv in walked Janet.

"Evelyn.." she spoke in a warning tone. Evelyn rolled her eyes at Janet.

"You promised me you wouldn't be a hassle for Michele." Said Janet. Evelyn fanned herself with her hand, pretending to be clueless about the promise.

"I have no remembrance of that conversation, dear? You know my mind is slipping from me now in days!" Evelyn let out a small chuckle. Causing both Toni and Janet to shake their head with a small laugh as well. Janet walked over to the bed and took the remote from her second mother's hand. Turning the channel to her favorite show.

"Sure you don't." Said Janet. Evelyn playfully pushed her head to the side. Causing Janet to laugh.

"You know what would make me feel much better." Evelyn asked both women with a knowing smile. And both women knew exactly what was going to happen next.

"What would that be, mother?" Asked Toni sarcastically. Evelyn's smile grew wider as she looked between the two young women.

"For my daughter and my daughter-in-law to watch my stories with me! Just like when you were younger." Janet blushed at the suggested from her elderly friend. Personally she saw no problem with it but Toni refused the offer.

"Unfortunately, mother I have to decline. I have to go check on you know who." Toni kissed her mothers check one last time before raising from the bed.

"Don't you know who me. And bring my grand-duck over here tomorrow. Her other mother wants to see her." Evelyn rested her hand on Janet's shoulder.

"What ever you want, mother." Toni sighed heavily before smiling awkwardly at Janet.

"Uh—I guess I'll see you tomorrow, Janet." Janet frowned at the mention of her full name.

"See you tomorrow, Michele.." she said softly. Toni headed for the bedroom door without another word.

"Ahh, before you go—Janet's staying with me for the next two weeks. Aren't you excited??" Asked Evelyn, grabbing her daughters attention. Toni's eyes grew wide, wide enough to see in the dark room with only the light of the tv brightening it. Toni slowly nodded her head and smiled with raised eyebrows.

"Yes, mother I'm very excited. So, I will be seeing you tomorrow." Toni said in Janet's direction. Janet nodded her head and reminded silent. With that Toni left her mothers home and returned to her own. Conflicted with her feelings, how could she just show up after a eleven years.. no calls or text? Nothing.. it's not like Janet was being held captive. Not physically at least, she'd been touring the world and breaking records since her first album. So why now? All these questions ran through Toni's mind as she sat in bed. Thinking about every possible reason for her to return.

The one thing she couldn't figure out is why? Why is Janet back? And why now..

~~~~~

This chapter seems shorter? Maybe it's just me.

How do you think Toni will handle the return of her ex- best friend?

Vote and comment to let me know💚.