douze

act one, scene eleven 

it had been several months since y/n's injury and life was going great for her. wilbur and carly had sunk into the label of a relationship, loosening up wilbur on y/n's life. her days were frequently filled with hanging out with terra, sometimes dream, sapnap, and george joining them. 

it was a quiet day in the library, george, y/n, and terra curled up in armchairs, each occupied with their own activity. 

"hey gogy do you have any stamps?" terra asked, liking the shaft of her manilla envelope to a close.

"check my office," he shrugged, "who are you writing to?"

"none of your business," terra huffed. 

george snatched it from her loose grip. "hey-" 

"who the fuck is marvin?" george cocked and eyebrow. 

"no one of your concern," she replied stifling, stealing back her letter. 

"i could tell clay-" 

"fine," she hissed, "he's a pen pal..that's all." 

y/n looked up from her book, "why are you getting a pen pal?" 

"i need new friends." 

george pouted at her answer, "what about us?"

"friends my own age," terra corrected. 

"what's so bad about having friends older than you?" y/n asked. 

"oh you guys are hopeless," she sighed dramatically, "i'm gonna go look for some stamps. 

"teenagers," george muttered under his breath.

"hey georgie do you know where middlemarch is?" 

"hmm?" george hummed. 

"the book i asked dream to get?" 

"ah yes your sugar daddy," george rolled his eyes, "i dunno..check the mail room maybe?" 

"you have a mail room!?" y/n exclaimed. 

george nodded. "sweet!" 

***

the mail room was more cluttered than the rest of the castle, trashed with boxes and torn packages. a neatly kept pile of unopened letters and packages caught her eyes. 

her fingers shifted through the pile, majority junk mail. she sighed unable to come to hear search of what she was looking for. 

since she was there she might as well check out the send out pile in case it got lost there, but all she found was a letter from dream to a man named johnathan. 

she knew it was wrong to snoop, but what did dream have to hide? 

the door banged open, revealing dream. his happy smile melted when he saw what she was holding. 

quick on his fit, he pinned her wrists to the wall, forcing the letters to slide from her grip. 

"the hell are you doing with my letters?" his face was so close to her he could feel the heat of her breath. 

"i..was looking for my book," y/n croaked. 

"in my mail?" she stayed silent. "hmm?"

he let go of her wrists, "i forbid you to ever read those letters..understand?" 

silence. 

"i said do you understand?!" his voice bellowed. 

"yes..i understand." 

*** 

terra fell asleep 2/3 of the way through her's and y/n's high school musical marathon. y/n sighed closing the computer, stealing it from terra's grip and laying her down in a more comfortable position. 

dream was outside the door when y/n walked out. "you leaving?"

she jumped at his voice. 

"sorry.." 

"it's alright," y/n rested a hand on her quick beating heartbeat, "you just scared me that's all." 

dream stood up, "so you leaving?" 

"yeah..terra fell asleep, figured we could save zac efron for another night." 

"oh." 

the silence was thick and uncomfortable. 

"i'm sorry for yelling earlier," dream apologized. 

"no, don't be! i invaded your privacy," y/n exclaimed, "i was just looking for a book and georgie-" 

"georgie," dream repeated with a frown, "since when do you call george georgie?" 

"since after we watched it," y/n raised an eyebrows, "why does it matter?" 

"it doesn't," dream shook himself, "it doesn't.." 

"alright then," y/n nodded awkwardly, "i should really get going."

dream walked closer to her, "or you could stay.." 

y/n shook her head, "we both know i can't." 

"why not?" dream whined. 

y/n ignored him, "tell terra i'll be back soon." 

"y/n.." 

"i can't dream," she said, "i'm sorry, but i can't." \

she couldn't, but she wanted to.