trente deux

act two, scene nine

"i'm coming!" philza called out to the mystery knocking at the door. the poor man nearly doubled over in a heart attack when he pulled back the door revealing the masked man. 

"please spare my grandson to your slaughter, he has only just turned six and has some much to live for!" philza begged. 

"what?" 

"when you kill me," philza said. 

dream couldn't help, but smile at the memory of the man's daughter begging for life when it was revealed who he was on their first meeting."i'm not here to kill you. i need your help actually." 

philza raised an eyebrow, "oh."

"yeah," dream said awkwardly, heat rising in his cheeks. he was never the one asking for help from others.

"and what if i say no?" philza inquired. 

dream's head snapped up towards him, startled at his words, "w-what?" 

"what will you do?" philza repeated. 

"well then..i guess i will kill you," the confidence lacked in his voice to make his statement convincing. 

"mhm," philza crossed his arms, "well go on then." 

"what?" 

"you heard me get off with it," philza's mouth remained in a straight line, "kill me." 

dream made no movements. 

"it seems you aren't keeping to what you threatened," philza pointed, "i don't see why i should waste my time on someone who has tortured my sons." 

dream stayed frozen, ashamed. his mind only became conscious as the door began to close. "wait!" he cried, slamming his foot in the door. 

"what?" philza asked, irritated. 

"please i really need your help," dream begged. 

"if this is about my sons i am not invo-" 

"it isn't!" dream interrupted, "it's about your daughter." 

confusion knit into philza's eyebrows. he was under the idea that dream had no knowledge of his daughter. worry swallowing his pettiness he decide to say, "well come into the family room then, i will make you some tea."

***

while the watson's house was relatively small it was full of life. the room nick named the family room shared it's space with the dining room, a long dark oak table and different chairs for every place.

as dream crouched down to sit on the brown armchair a series of photos on the fireplace mantel place caught his eye. he approached them slowly almost as if he were afraid.

the first one he lifted was a picture taken on the blue sofa several feet away from him. philza, the man who had previously greeted him at the door he recognized first. while his hair was more a vibrant auburn and his eyes did not hold the same age, he had the same kind smile on his face. his hand was placed on a woman's thigh next to him who dream assumed was y/n's mother. on the woman's lap sat a little boy with brown hair flopping over his eyes. the sight of young wilbur was weird thinking how his enemy was once small just like him. he looked happier than he had ever seen him. maybe is dream had known him as a child they would be friends. maybe things would be different. but there was no point on dwelling on things you can't change.

next to wilbur sat another boy slightly younger. he wore square glasses and had pink streaks poking through the rim of his bucket hat. dream couldn't place who it was. perhaps a family friend or another secret brother. dream wouldn't be surprised if y/n had another one of those. dream's eyes fell to the valley of the little boy's lap were a bundle of blankets was tightly gripped. inside a red and wrinkled newborn was kept. while the baby had undeveloped muddy blue eyes and the typical newborn features dream could immediately tell it was y/n. his fingers traced the baby's outline. she had so much life ahead of her and she didn't even know.