Chapter 36

Three weeks passed before Danneel gave Jensen the go-ahead to come to the lake house. He couldn't go into Sloan's room without her freaking out, but he would sit outside the open door and talk to her. She doesn't indicate it but he knows she can hear him. 

She hardly eats. She only eats enough to survive. She only gets out of the bed to use the bathroom and shower, trying desperately to scrub the disgusted feeling from her skin. She doesn't have the energy or the will to brush her hair, Danneel does that for her. Other than that, she stays in her bed, alone and in the dark. 

She listens to everyone who visits. Jensen, Gen, Jared, even Grayson had come by and forced himself to stay in the hallway. Sebastian was another constant. He would watch JJ while Jensen visited his daughter, then would go to the lake house and talk to her himself. Anthony had visited, so had Chris and Scarlett. None of them could get her to smile, or make any sort of noise. They knew she had heard enough when she would roll onto her left side and they'd sigh before closing the door and going downstairs.

After a month, Sloan surprised Jensen one day when she slid out of the bed while he was talking. She didn't say anything, didn't go near him. She just sat with her knees pulled up to her chest, arm wrapped around them and chin resting atop her knees, and leaned back against the bed, staring at her father with cautious eyes. 

After that, she would scoot a little bit closer everyday. She never said a word, never held eye contact with any of the males for more than a few seconds. But it was something. She always seemed to keep her body as small as possible and looked ready to flee at any second, like a scared little bird. 

Sebastian sits in front of her now, sitting just outside her door with his legs crossed, his elbows resting on them and his chin resting on his fists. Sloan is sat against her bed, knees to her chest like always as she stares at a spot on the floor in front of him. Sebastian prattles on about how the Russos are continuing to insist that the press tour wait until she's ready to take part in it, but Sloan's barely listening. She just focuses on that feeling inside her. Something's different. She feels less afraid, less weary. 

She feels stronger.

Sebastian's eyes dart from the floor when he sees movement. He looks up and smiles as Sloan scoots forward a little bit, changing the subject to talk about his mother. 

"You know, she told me not to come home until you were okay." He says, chuckling slightly. "You know, I think she likes you more than she likes me and she hasn't even met you yet." He swears he sees the ghost of a smile pull at Sloan's lips, making one appear on his own. He watches in amazement as she suddenly stands and slowly walks forward, sitting right in front of him with her legs crossed, their knees almost touching. He makes sure to make no sudden movements, just continues talking. 

"When we go to New York for the press tour, you should come meet her." He says. "I know she would love it. And you two would get along great. She was excited when I told her that you were almost completely fluent in Romanian from what I taught you. And as soon as she saw the movie, she called me and told me to let you know that you're her favorite by far. So, thanks for stealing my mom." Before she can stop herself, Sloan lets out a small laugh. It was more of a breath than a laugh, but the intent was the same. Sebastian smiles at her and she gives him a small one in return. 

"Mulțumesc." She says, her voice hoarse and barely above a whisper, but it sounds like the sweetest thing the actor's ever hear. (Thank you.)

"Orice pentru tine, soră mică." Sloan smiles a little bit wider and he stands up, making her jump, looking like she's about to run back to her bed. He quickly holds his hands out in front of him to show her he means her no harm. "Ești bine. Esti in siguranta." (Anything for you, little sister. You're okay. You're safe.)