Chapter 8

Grayson runs outside, feeling dread settle in his stomach as he searches for his best friend. He follows the crowd to the edge of the tree line, watching the school, anxious to see the familiar blonde hair running through the field towards the woods. He pulls out his phone and quickly dials his brother's number.

"Grayson? Is that you? Are you okay?" His older brother asks quickly, not giving the teenager any time to answer. 

"I'm fine." The boy says, although he knows he's physically fine, but mentally he's not. His body starts shaking uncontrollably, the adrenaline fading. "Is Jensen with you?" 

"No. I'm on my way to his house to get him now. He was freaking out so I didn't want him to drive himself." The man explains. "What about Sloan? Is she okay?" 

"Yeah. Yeah, she's fine." The boy says unconvincingly after hesitating for a moment. 

"Grayson? What's wrong?" Jared asks, knowing something was wrong with the girl. 

"She's not out here." Grayson answers. 

"What do you mean she's not out there?" 

"I came out with my class. I looked for her in the hallway and out here but I can't find her." Grayson says. "I don't see her anywhere. I don't know if she's-" He stops, his voice wavering and tears threatening to fall down his face at the thought of what could be happening to his friend inside.

"Okay, Grayson, calm down." Jared says, sensing his brother's distress. "She's gonna be fine. You know Sloan. She's tough. Just stay calm. I just got to Jensen's. I'll be there in thirty minutes."

"Don't tell him she's still inside." Grayson says hurriedly. "I'll tell him when he gets here if she's not out by then." He hangs up and turns back to the school, just watching, ignoring the buzz of traumatized students and teachers around him, praying with everything he had that his friend was okay. 

*****

Jensen runs out his front door, not bothering to lock it, and jumps into the passenger side of Jared's truck. He barely has the door closed before his friend is speeding out of the driveway and towards the school. Jensen looks at his friend, seeing his pale face and his grip on the steering wheel that's so tight his knuckles are turning white. He feels a sense of anxiety as he takes in Jared's appearance. 

"What happened? Is Grayson okay?" He asks, thinking something happened to the man's brother. 

"He's fine. He just called." He answers, making Jensen release a sigh of relief. 

"Did he say anything about Sloan?" He asks, hoping the girl is with her friend. "Is she with him?" Jared looks at his friend briefly before turning back to the road, not sure if he can really lie to his best friend about this. "Jared, what's wrong? She's not-"

"No. She's not." Jared says sternly, keeping his friend from saying the word. "She's alive as far as I know." 

"As far as you know?" Jensen asks in confusion, starting to panic slightly. "What's that supposed to mean? She's with Grayson. Isn't she?" Jared sighs, knowing he screwed up. He can't keep this from his friend, he deserves to know now so he can prepare himself.  

"She's not outside." He says, looking at his friend, seeing all the color drain from his face. "Grayson tried to find her when he was leaving the building but he didn't see her. And he can't find her anywhere outside." 

"She's still inside?" Jensen repeats, anxiety and fear filling his body. 

"Breathe, Jensen." Jared says. "She's going to be fine."