Chapter 22

There are a few gunshots followed by a lot of screaming. Sloan freezes in her spot as everyone else in the room ducks behind chairs or whatever happened to be closest. Just like at the school, Sloan feels her adrenaline pumping and she starts looking around for the shooter. 

"Sloan!" Grayson yells, pulling her to the floor just as a bullet cuts through the air, right where her head just was. "Are you okay?" Sloan nods and the two stand up, their hands staying locked as Grayson leads the way off the stage. 

They run to the side of the stage, bullets whizzing behind Sloan after every step. When they're close enough, the two dive to get to the little hallway. Just as Sloan dives, she feels a pain her calf. She lands on the ground with a thud and Jensen pulls her farther away from her stage by her arm as the shooting stops. The panic finally sets in and Sloan starts thrashing around, swinging her legs at whoever's closest to her. 

"Sloan!" Jensen yells before stepping in front of her. "It's just me." Sloan sits up and looks around, slightly dazed. "You're okay." She looks down at her left calf and sees the blood pouring from it.

"Maybe not." She says, pointing the wound. 

Jensen follows her finger with his eyes and his own widen. He starts calling out a bunch of commands but Sloan can't hear him, just staring at the blood pouring from her leg as she waits for the explosion that never comes, her mind blurring reality with flashes of the school. After a few seconds, she starts to laugh as she goes into a shock. 

"I just had to say he wouldn't shoot me in a room full of witnesses, didn't I? What are the odds of someone getting shot twice in four months?" She asks rhetorically. "Three times if you're counting each wound.

"That's not funny." Jensen tells her as he secures the tourniquet made of his flannel and the pocket knife he always carries. 

"Never said it was." She says, still laughing. 

"Then why are you laughing?" Rob asks the girl. 

"I think I'm going into shock." She says just before passing out. 

Sloan wakes up to a familiar annoying beeping sound. She groans as she slowly blinks her eyes open and looks around, seeing the room full of people, either asleep or talking quietly.

"Well aren't you just a rowdy bunch." She says sarcastically, alerting them that she was awake. Jensen's head shoots up from the side of her bed and he smiles at her, glad to see she's awake.

"How are you feeling?" He asks. 

"I'm fine." She says before smirking. "Hey, does this mean I'm bulletproof?" 

"More like bullet magnet." Grayson tells her. 

"Well, they haven't killed me yet." She says with a chuckle before looking at Jensen. "Did they catch the shooter?" He shakes his head and Sloan sighs. "It was him wasn't it? The stalker?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out." A new, unfamiliar voice says.

Sloan looks to the door, seeing a man dressed in a suit walk in. He walks over to the left side of her bed and she instinctively leans to the right, trying to get as much space between her and the mystery man as possible. Although it had been four months since the shooting, Sloan still didn't trust people easily and it took her a while to get completely comfortable around new people 

"Who the hell are you?" She asks, eyeing the man up and down. 

"Detective King. I've been assigned to the shooting." He answers, extending his hand. Sloan simple eyes it then looks at his face, raising a brow.