Chapter 3: Strange but better

'I want your sister to live the way she wants, but make sure she will not stray from the right path. Keep an eye on her, would you, my son? Ashton.'

Ashton Arkwright, the eldest son of the current duke sat in front of his study table, wearing his usually stoic face while reading a book that was resting on his hands. However, his mind seemed to be elsewhere. Remembering the scene he witnessed the night before.

"You shouldn't have argued with your Sister, Ashton,"  his uncle, Alistair told him as soon as they stepped out of Avy's room.

"You cannot blame the boy, Alistair. Avy, that child has been very obsessed with the prince. I am afraid she will not be herself anymore if the prince continues to give her the cold shoulder,"  his grandfather commented.

"Avy is still a child, but she is smart, father. She will eventually realize it herself," the duke stated causing the old man to sigh. It would be a miracle if Avy wakes up anytime soon.

They went on their separate ways, his uncle returned to the imperial palace and his grandfather returned to the knights' headquarters that is located at another estate that they own. His father went back to his study to continue his unfinished work. On the other hand, he did not. He stayed in the hallway, waiting for his younger brother to come out.

It only took a minute or two before Ciel came out, his face clearly looked worried but it quickly returned to his original expression after seeing him. Calm and collected.

"Well?" he asked.

"She is acting very... strangely,"  Ciel told him before leaving.

Troubled by his brother's words, he went to his sister's room to check. However, when he arrived...

"This is not the first time right?"

"Stupid tears... don't make me look weak. I'm not sad at all." sobs that screamed loneliness, something that he has been long since he heard greeted his ear.

He left.

He knew Avy grew up getting everything she wanted, hence having someone reject her all the time wounded her pride. However, she never cried, getting angry and venting it on the people in the estate was the only thing she ever did.

"Tell Avy's personal maid to bring some ice in her room in the morning, she might need it," he told Hayward, the head butler before going inside his room to rest.

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of someone knocking on the door.

"Come in," he said, the door opened and the guy he was expecting entered.

Light blue hair and eyes, the traits that the direct descendants of the most powerful aqua-type family of mages in the empire, the Harrington family have. The man that stood before him was the current successor of that dukedom. Zach Harrington.

"You seem to have so much time in your hands that you were able to come here, Zach." Ashton was usually stern and stiff despite being only eighteen but the unusual cold tone made Zach look at him weirdly.

"It is not as if I came here of my own will. All successor of every pillar in the empire is summoned in the Palace to prepare for the upcoming summit," he spoke as he sat on the couch near Ashton's table, his carefree monotone voice was heard.

"That aside. Your sister is acting strangely."

"Avy? What did she do this time?"

"She greeted me." Ashton's brows furrowed in confusion.