Chapter 57: Crippling Revelation

"Would you mind hurrying up? My arms are killing me...!"

"Well, then, hold me steady, dumbass! I'm gonna fall!"

"I am! You do know that you weigh a lot, do you not?"

"Quit bitching or I'll kick you in the face."

Zach grunted in displeasure, his eyes were shut and his head turned the other way. He could feel his arms protesting to be put to rest as the heat of the sun contributed to his sore muscles. He regretted his actions just a few moments before it went down to his current situation.

"Where are you going?"

Zach stood in front of the big mirror as he fixed his clothes to his liking when he heard the voice of his younger sister. He already knew that she was giving him a visit the moment she stepped inside the room, making her presence known along with another familiar one that belonged to their brother.

After the accident that happened during Lady Avy's stay in their mansion, Duke Harrington, their father, hired professionals to guide the beginning of Clion's magic training. The manifestation of his magic happened without them noticing signs; hence, it was a surprise to the whole household when the boy suffered from a rampant manifestation.

Zach was not present when the accident happened, having been called to the palace to assist his father for the upcoming summit. He thereafter found out that Lady Avy took every rampaging mana that Clion had manifested that day upon herself. Being manaless as she was, it must have been possible for someone with her condition to absorb the rampaging mana of a person. It did not mean that it did not hurt her in any way, however. He was informed by the butler that the lady suffered aftereffects because of what she did.

It could have been a lot worse for Clion had the lady not stepped in. Zach was genuinely thankful for that, and even though doubts crossed his mind that it was only one of her tricks to get his attention, he sincerely thanked her, setting aside everything he felt about her. He was relieved to hear that she no longer harbored feelings for him as it was for the best.

Clari's manifestation followed suit and unlike Clion, hers was normal. The professionals that their father hired helped to avoid another accident.

Months have passed since that day and he noticed big changes in the behavior of his twin siblings. They were brighter than before, with Clion being less kept to himself and Clari learning to be less aggressive. Zach reluctantly acknowledged that it was partly, or even mostly, thanks to Lady Avy. Hence, he was not surprised that in the course of those months, the twins formed a bond with the ducal princess and he found himself listening to stories of his siblings that included the raven-haired lady.

The twins visited the Arkwrights' mansion a couple of times to spend time with their 'teacher'—that's what they called her. The fact that they were allowed to step inside that place made Zach's brow raise in surprise when he first heard about it. Especially when even the highest-ranking nobles are declined entry as per the authority of the duke. However, he was informed that Lady Avy herself received the two kids in order to make them comfortable enough.

"Are you going to visit Teacher? Can we go with you?" Clari looked at him with expecting eyes, something that she does, well, she and Clion do, when they are asking for something they know they could get if they use it on him. Unfortunately, this time was not one of those cases in which he agreed.

He stopped what he was doing to face the twins before he knelt down to their level. He liked talking to them where they do not have to look up to him. They feel closer when he lowers himself in order to match their eye level.

"Sorry, Clari, but today is a cessation and it would be dangerous for the two of you if I took you outside. And... you need permission from Father, remember?" he told them, as gently as he could. Perhaps, it has become a reflex for him to talk softer in their presence, knowing that Clion cannot stand loud noises.