Chapter 42: New challenge, begin

"You can also claim that one as yours if you desire to." 

Avy furrowed her brows in confusion after hearing the statement of her curse servant in his cat form walking freely next to her. She knows that Ares is often like an open book because he just says whatever he wants to without caring about what she would think of him. But there are also times that he wouldn't even utter a single word to answer questions that he's asked.

'What do you mean?' she gave him a side glance, but the said servant went on ahead.

"I am not one to ruin the fun. You will find out soon enough. When your cat dies, maybe?" 

She would have kicked the black ball of fur that was walking in front of her if not for the fact that it would be violence against animals. 

'You can go die first.' 

Even without her seeing, she could feel Ares smiling smugly and annoyingly like how he usually does, especially when he replied to her comment. 

"I'm immortal, Avy." 

Avy just rolled her eyes and clicked her tongue, 'Fuck you, then,' she childishly retorts back but Ares only responded with laughter, giving his master more reason to want to send his small cat body flying with a jab of her foot. It was a good thing that they finally arrived in front of the young master's room, which she was actually surprised about since she doesn't know where it was and just followed Ares until he stopped in front of the door with two knights standing in either side. 

"The lady would like to see the young master's condition," Mariel boldly stated without having to be told. Avy saw how the knights gave her a glance that she would say, not exactly as welcoming or maybe a little hostile if she were to be honest. And of course, it did not go unnoticed by her trusted knight who put his hand on his sword's grip as if he was going to unsheath his blade if any further disrespect was shown to their lady. 

"Young master Clion is currently resting, I would suggest the lady retire for the night," one of the knights responded unwaveringly, tone a little bit too sharp for someone declining a noble's request. 

It didn't sit well with Mariel as it was shown on her face that she was not pleased that Avy was rejected after walking her way from her own quarters to visit the other duchy's young master, but of course, it was also the last straw of Clerivan's grace. He was about to pull out his sword when Avy waved her hand, signaling him to stop. She doesn't want any unnecessary bloodshed and trouble or she might get scolded again by Ashton, that nagger of a brother she has. 

She was about to say that it was fine, although it wasn't because she already wasted energy walking, and still got rejected, but someone from the side spoke, not letting her speak first.

"Let the lady in, it's disrespectful to send her away after she went on her way to check on the young master out of concern." it was exactly what she was thinking. Avy swerved her head in the direction of the voice and saw the same butler with maroon-colored hair standing with his hands behind his back, a stern expression displayed on his face.

"Sir Craye-"

"Did I ask for your opinion?"  the butler didn't let the knight finish and instead threw him an unamused look, forcing the latter to bow his head. 

Avy did not enjoy what it looked like. 

She chuckled, calling the attention of all the servants present. 

"It seems like this duchy's knights will only heed orders from a butler and not from a noble," she stated before she gave the knights a disapproving glare. "I would love to know how arrogant can you be."