Chapter 6: A fateful encounter

"HOLY–" she almost screamed at the top of her lungs after laying her eyes on the scene that she happened to witness after making a turn.

It was a man with peach-colored hair lying on the cold ground with bloodied clothes that were torn apart, he was breathing softly and slowly and it looked like every breath he took, pain was the only thing he felt.

But he was not the only person that Avy saw, there was also a child, four or five years old sitting next to him. He had jet-black hair and shining golden eyes.

Of course, her presence and voice were noticed immediately by the two people as the little boy stood on guard, holding a small knife in his little hands. Eyes filled with determination saying 'he needs to protect the man'.

"A... a child? And a half-dead man, are you kidding me?" she told herself, shocked. It was her first time seeing someone in such a state, well aside from when she saw her lifeless body lying on the ground of course. She may be a calm person, well most of the time, but a person covered in blood as if he just came from a battlefield is not something you'd see in your daily life.

"I-I'll call a doctor. Wait here!" she was anxious, but before she even took a step away, the man mustered all his strength to stop her from leaving.

"Don't...! Ungh..." he groaned in pain.

"W-what?" she must've heard it wrong.

"Don't..."

"Don't? Really? Do you think I know how to heal or something? Well... You're dying! If you want to know." she was not in the right state of mind to even stop herself from speaking so rudely to a person on his deathbed. She was still processing that she was inside a novel and she sure didn't want to have another thing to process in her mind.

"I will soon depart... Calling a doctor in the Humans' Territory... will only endanger his life." He said, looking at the child.

'Damn it, I shouldn't have stepped out of the mansion. Then do I have to watch this man die?'  Avy thought frowning deeply as she looked down at the person who was indirectly telling her to ignore his condition.

"I may not be a good person... But my conscience won't let me sleep if I leave a dying man and a kid." she looked at the small boy, and her conscience quickly got the better of her when he saw his eyes.

If there is a thing that she can call her weakness. It's that she has a soft spot for cute things.

"Don't look at me like that! Damn it all." she retorted, put the torch down and walked towards the man, and sat beside him, taking things out of her big bag that Mariel prepared.

"Damn you, irresponsible Guardian. Are you seriously leaving your son, your brother, or whatever that kid is here alone? You stupid shit." she ripped off a part of her cloak and soaked it with water and started wiping the blood on the man's body, in a not-so-careful manner.

"Please do it carefully–"

"Don't order me around. Don't you dare complain? I didn't want this. I'm not helping you, got it?" she snarled at her, glaring with her sharp red eyes.

"A doctor could do ten times better than me, why do you oppose the idea so much?" she asked, still frowning.

"We don't have a good relationship with Humans." the man answered making Avy look at him confusedly.

"You talk as if you're not one." She said.

"We're not."

...

...

...

"What."

"We're not. "