Chapter 56: Mayhem Ensues

"I have never seen my brother this happy before."

Ciel did not have to look at the person who spoke in order to know who it was. He kept his attention on the two who were trying too hard to imitate a dancing pair and failing miserably. A smile was drawn on his sister's face—an unfamiliar expression created by the arch that reached the corners of her blood-red eyes.

He and the second prince, Light, stood a considerable distance away from the two, blending among the shadows cast by the moonlight upon the tall tree on the side of the garden. Only the sound of the crickets singing in the vicinity mixed with the energetic, yet faint, music of the orchestra filled the air, swaying along the peace of the night.

"His Highness does not look happy to me," Ciel mused, disapproval lingering on his tongue. He was aware that he need not conceal his apparent enmity towards the crown prince from Light as the white-haired teen knew it all too well. It was as if it had become an unspoken pledge that they act honestly in front of each other at all times given their rivalry.

"Sure, keep convincing yourself. I will come back to you and agree if you see my brother making physical contact with another living person. Counting how long his hand has been clasped onto Sister's own, at least." The second prince sounded too confident to Ciel's liking, yet he could not deny the fact that the other was stating the truth.

Everyone knows that the crown prince loathed being touched. Not by servants, not by anyone, not even by his own family. He did not wear gloves often as it was dangerous for a combat mage since it could disrupt their fights. That being said, Prince Lucifer was never someone to hold another person's hand for a dance.

Ciel was a witness to how his sister looked too disgusted with herself because the prince refused to touch her hand. He was a witness to how the lightning mage always leaned away as if his sister was someone he would rather die than be in contact with. The prince avoided her like a contagious disease as if his life itself depended on it.

Ciel hated it.

Was it really that hard to give an exception to the girl you will marry? Could it be considered a ridiculous request to consider the lone girl's feelings? Prince Lucifer was no different than Young Master Zach.

"You know... I am envious of Sister."

He looked at his long-time rival with confusion evident in how his face contorted. His right brow slightly raised as his lips formed a frown. Envious? What was there to be envious about? His sister, Avy, definitely suffered so much humiliation. He did not understand this stupid prince at all.

"My brother never held me as a child. Well, I do remember him always standing somewhere nearby... but he never reached out to hold my hand. Perhaps, it was just me, or he did look terrified."

Ciel was surprised to see the bitter smile decorating the prince's childish features. His voice had a hint of melancholia, different from his usual demeanor basked with arrogance and confidence. Golden eyes reflected the moonlight seeping through the leaves of the trees they had taken shelter in.

"Believe it or not, my brother is not the heartless bastard you perceive him to be. I just know. He is my brother. Perhaps, I am siding with him because of that, but His Highness is a sincere person," Light expressed, and Ciel could trace the resolution in his choice of words. Still, he did not want to believe him.

"Why is he being good to her now? He could have done that a long time ago. Why now?"

Why now, when his sister is finally coming back to them?

"You are scared."

Ciel's whole body froze with that statement. His blood ran cold and he dared not look at the direction of the second prince. Scared? Scared of what?