Chapter 55: The Sky Wept

Days passed and the night of the summit ball arrived. The sound of the orchestra playing for the money-hungry upper class resonated inside the magnificent hall. The surroundings were blinding to the eye of a person not accustomed to how the wealthy celebrate. Everything was coated in shining gold and silver, from the jeweled decoration to the illumination brought by the extravagant chandelier.

The people present wore the most lavish clothes one could ever dream of covering their naked bodies. Dressed in rare animal skins and the finest silk adorned with expensive stones known to man, the aristocrats walked around while flaunting their wealth. The scene was ironic, with everything that covered the elites, their smiles were the only thing that could be called fake.

The smell of their pride and greed was rancid, exuding a disgusting stench that seemed to not exist within the senses of the powerful. It was an ugly sight.

Avy found herself in the middle of all of those, alone, having no other options but to spectate royalties and nobilities mingle with each other. It was a little bit different from the previous summit banquet which was almost entirely composed of male attendees. The summit ball is a party that aims to let the envoys enjoy themselves without focusing on business-related matters.

The number of ladies present increased, although it was still not higher than the number of men wandering around. Nevertheless, the fact that she was not being watched by almost every pair of eyes made her less uncomfortable. Another thing that made her breathe easily was the fact that it was a masquerade ball where everyone was wearing a mask of their own.

She wore a glittery midnight mask with feathers on the corners, and even though it only covered half her face, it helped her blend in quite well. It was a relief that she slipped away from her family before she got attention from the crowd, making it harder for her to be recognized. Her attire, too, was not colorful as she picked a puffy short-sleeved dark blue gown and a matching pair of gloves. Her hair was suspended in a half bun with a metal that looked like a pen decorated with a golden rhinestone at the end.

Seeing nothing interesting in watching aristocrats do what they do best, which is showing off, she decided to shy away from the near-center of the party and relocate to the table where the food is displayed. She did not see the benefit of standing still anyway. Besides, the saying, 'if you have it, flaunt it,' that the rich have been doing for the past half an hour hurt her eyes. Might as well just focus on something that would actually make her happy.

Restraining from grabbing everything that she found appetizing, she only took a small amount to put on her plate before scanning the tables to find a vacant one. Since many of the ladies and elderly occupied the seats, she had a hard time looking for somewhere to sit until her eyes caught a glimpse of a girl sitting alone at a table that could cater to a group of five.

It was not difficult to spot her amidst the crowd. She has wavy strawberry-blonde hair that reached past her shoulders, and she was wearing an elegant peach-colored ball gown. Moreover, it was as if the other ladies were avoiding her like the plague, making her stand out even more.

As much as Avy wanted to steer away from the gaze of the public, she did not want to eat standing up. Hence, she carefully walked towards the table with a single occupant, cautious, so as to not bump into another person and spill the precious gift of life that would cease her hunger.

"Excuse me. Is it alright if I take this seat?"

The girl was startled by her voice, flinching as soon as she heard her question. She then looked up at her with surprise, as if not believing what she heard.

"O-Oh. Go ahead. I do not own that seat. You do not have to ask," the unapproachable girl answered in a sharp manner. However, after realizing what she had said, it seemed like she was also surprised. She opened her mouth once again yet no other words came out. Frustration became evident in her intimidating features as she accepted defeat and simply kept quiet.