Chapter 48: How Much a Gem is Worth

"It's a good thing that it's already late and no one's outside. You stand out like a sore thumb," Ares asserted with displeasure evident in his tone. 

The lady and her curse servant walked through Blackwell District quietly. The district was sleeping, and not one soul could be seen wandering around. It was just the two of them. He could understand that, at least, since Blackwell is home to many criminals that hide from the masses, and the locals know that fact and are aware that it's far too dangerous to step outside their houses once the knights stop patrolling. 

It was chilly, and Avy wore a thin nightgown that Mariel had dressed her into earlier. Ares knows that because of his master's manifestation—she is partly a flamma-type mage—she has become somewhat immune to the cold. However, the clothes his master was wearing this time were not something that people would find appropriate to wear outside, but it's not as if Avy cared about such things. She, in fact, did not. 

Ares was not ignorant about how she does not give a single flying fuck about what others might think. However, unfortunately for the lady, her curse servant believed otherwise. He was not conservative but he believed it was still unbecoming of him to let his master walk around in such a state.

"I can't believe that old curse sent us here without waiting for you to change into proper clothes," Ares grunted, placing a black cloak that he got from only God knows where on his master's shoulders.

Avy still had yet to calm down and was striding relatively fast. Although Ares could get used to the silence since his master almost never initiated a conversation when she didn't feel like it, he could feel that her quietness did not feel right. The original Avy's presence has always screamed danger ever since she was a child. Having been born into one of the most prominent families in the empire and as a sheltered princess guarded by monsters of the same blood, she, of course, emitted the aura of someone with a superior standing. 

Even so, it was not only because of her origins that she feels pressuring to be with for the people; it was also because of her personality. The original lady, of course, became like that due to Ares' influence as a curse. 

It is normal for a cursed person to slowly lose their own personality and be replaced by malice because of the entity they are housing inside their soul. However, after this new soul entered the original Avy's body, the heaviness of her character became much more evident. To be precise, Ares felt like that character of hers became more entitled, more untouchable than it already was. It gave the impression that she did not want to be bothered. It was almost as if there was a big red sign above her head that said, 'Leave me alone.'

Ares could feel how the new soul looked at everyone as though she was well aware that she was above them. Like a God looking down on his people, knowing he is on a higher standing, Avy comes off as someone who knows too well she is not like the others. Every day, she gives Ares a reason to fear her, and it is one of the best feelings that the curse could remember feeling in the years of his existence. 

The noble lady's blood-red eyes shone under the light of the night as she walked while glancing to her sides, in the middle of the buildings or any place one could fit themselves into. Her near-permanent frown only deepened by the second. 

The only thing that resonated throughout the place was the sound of her heels hitting the pavement, and if Ares was to comment on it, it was pretty terrifying. That sound could be compared to the stomps of a monster nearing its prey, and the curse was almost thankful that he was not the one the predator had her eyes on. 

The curse servant was trying to enjoy the peace before the storm finally came when suddenly, his master stopped in her tracks and promptly staggered. Had Ares not caught her on time, she would have already met the cold ground.