Chapter 29: A Bloodbath

"I made it so that if he hurts himself too much, mine would automatically keep him alive in exchange for having to know not only his mana status but also anything that enters his body."

Avy remembered the exact words she said after casting a spell on Kill. She was really doubting whether or not she really succeeded in something she did for the first time. But now that she's experiencing the consequences of her actions, it became pretty much clear that it worked.

She struggled to breathe as she clenched her chest tightly with her hand. She wanted to pass out that moment but the sound of thunder brought her back. If she's experiencing such pain, that only means Kill's body already reached its limits and is only holding on to the spell that bonded the two of them together for his life. She knew she had to get to him as soon as possible.

"Avy? What's wrong?" without her even calling, Ares appeared next to her and gently touched her arm to make her turn to him. He saw her pained expression and the way she was catching her breath to stay conscious.

"Th-the kid. I need to go." she pushed him out of the way and went towards the door although she struggled to walk.

"What–"

"He's dying." her answer put a frown on Ares' face. The scene that happened inside the cave entered the curse servant's mind. He knew nothing good will come off-putting one own's life for someone else's benefit.

He clicked his tongue and approached Avy before putting his hand on her back.

Avy felt the pain slowly becoming better and she was finally able to breathe just fine although the pain still lingers.

"I'm taking my own share." Ares told her, lifting his palm from her back. "Run out first. I'll cast a spell so that no one will notice your absence." He added.

Avy nodded her head and ran out of the room. It was a little harder to move because she was still wearing a dress she wore that day and didn't bother to change into nightwear since she's busy reading. The sound of the rain covered her footsteps as she ran to the back of the Mansion where the hole she uses to crawl out was located.

Not too long after going out, Ares was already following behind her, not as a person, but a huge black panther that scooped her up, making her rest on his back. He ran fast that the droplets of water slapped Avy's face like solid beads. The air was freezing yet the both of them didn't stop until they reached the entrance of the forest.

"It will be dangerous, Avy. The animals that are being shunned away by that kid's presence are freely roaming around. Although they can't touch you since they can't get out of this forest because of the barrier set up by humans, I cannot say the same once you go inside." Ares warned her, his voice much deeper, matching his new appearance.

"It'll be quick." She answered with no hesitation, thus the curse servant went ahead, and true enough, they still haven't reached the heart of the forest yet there are already beasts walking free. 

When they arrived at the cave's entrance, Avy quickly got off Ares. The latter reverted back to his human form. 

"You go inside. I will stand on guard." Ares told her. Avy didn't answer and just gave him an approving nod before proceeding inside the cave. She didn't know if it was caused by their connection, but she could definitely feel Kiil's heartbeat getting slower and fainter every second. Beast people are not affected by the Cessation, thus no matter what day of the month, their mana will not disappear. Yet the kid's mana was slowly fading. 

"...ma" 

Her hopes were restored when she heard the familiar voice coming from inside. He's still alive.