Chapter 50: In the Midst of the Crowd

The Great Summit. 

It has been a tradition of the Eastern Federation to have a month-long formal get together annually to confide in each other about one another's country's troubles. This annual summit was established to be a formulation of strategy to ensure that other continents will not stand a chance if they invaded a territory belonging to the East. 

Sixteen countries, including Kriseon who was mainly the one that took the lead in the summit, attended this aristocratic gathering with countless goals in mind. The most important one is getting allies and stepping into the good side of strong forces to save themselves from possible invasions. Only royals, imperials, and a small number of high ranking nobles are included, making the summit the most prestigious event held in the East. 

However, aside from befriending powerful nations, there is another connection as to why influential people are elated to be included in this gathering—that is, searching for a suitable partner. 

It is known that each and everyone that would be present during the summit holds either title or power, making it the best hunting ground for those who are looking for a potential betrothal. They would be guaranteed wealth, military prowess, prestige, or even all of them. Moreover, there are some families that are mostly anticipated by others to attend. 

The Arkwright Family is one of them. 

"Am I seeing this right? The infamous ducal princess shows herself at last!" 

"Maybe the sun will not rise tomorrow." 

"It was indeed the best choice to attend this year's summit." 

Countless whispers and statements flying everywhere could be heard as the ruby-eyed family entered the intricate big doors of the luxurious main hall where all the important representatives of each nation were present. As if everything came to a halt, all the eyes were focused on the Arkwrights' arrival. 

Each was dressed in black, with the soles of their shoes hitting the marble floor. The hall was silent for a while with only the sound of their walk resonating in the quiet air. The glimmering lights illuminating the place reflected on six pairs of blood-red eyes with cold, mind-numbing gazes that could make the weak fall down on their knees. 

Their majestic presence stole the breath of the crowd, an impact only the most powerful noble house of Kriseon Empire could have. Led by the current duke, His Excellency Alton Arkwright, the murder of crows strode with their heads held high—confident and secure. And in the center, like a jewel guarded by monsters, there stood the lady that everyone now had their attention onto. 

Even so, in the eyes of the hungry aristocratic hyenas, it was not a person that was there. 

It was an opportunity. 

Lady Vin Avanaveronica Searra Arkwright, the only female with Arkwright blood, is the easiest way to enter the unrivaled duchy of the Kriseon Empire. She is yet to make her debut in society and there are no rumors regarding a marriage proposal that her family has accepted. 

A pure daisy surrounded by thorns.

Everyone knew that once they got a hold of the princess' heart, they would have the privilege to use her name for their own gain. Fools they may be, but the power they could have is worth every drop of blood that might be shed. 

~~~

Avy herself was not one for social gatherings. It was a surprise since she grew up with a pretty well-known mother who dragged her around for her to meet new people. Her mother, a model, would often come to formal parties with her as plus one. It was something she failed to understand as she was just a child whose presence was of no importance whatsoever.