Chapter 21: Misplaced Bodies

2019.

I was too far away to be able to do anything about it. My full strength was mostly back and if I had been within arm's reach of them, I would have been able to disarm at least two of them before they would have been able to react. But I was still on the couch and Rosé was in the doorway. There was nothing I could do.

I didn't think the man with the gun was going to pull the trigger. Even with the silencer attached, it would have made too much noise, especially if the bullet struck something else. I was questioning how they had so casually walked up to the door with a gun. Had they turned off the security cameras? Were they working with the owners of the hotel? It could have been something as simple as a bribe, I supposed.

In any case, it didn't matter. They had Rosé at gunpoint. They had the drop on me.

If those YG goons were any good at their job, this never would have happened.

But there was no time to worry about YG not doing their job.

"You're coming with us," the armed man growled. I couldn't get a good look at him because of the lighting, but he was clearly American and if I wasn't mistaken, he was one of the men from earlier.

Dammit. This is turning into a disaster.

Rosé stood frozen in the doorway. I could practically see her slim frame trembling in the light from the hallway. This was the closest she had ever been to the business end of a gun, even with all the things we had gone through before.

I felt a rage building up inside of me. Who did these bastards think they were? Threatening my friends, even my lover, all because of what? Their dirtbag boss told them to?

A small voice in my head reminded me that I had once not been so different from them. I shook the thought away. There was no time for doubt right now.

All of this flashed through my head in an instant. I ran through every conceivable scenario and I realized that there was nothing I could do. If I stood up or made any move on them at all, it could provoke them into shooting Rosé, which was obviously unacceptable.

I could do nothing.

Rosé turned to give me a desperate look and one of the men reached out and roughly grabbed her shoulder. "Sneaking off for a quick fuck, huh?" he spat. "Bet you regret leaving your security behind now. Typical woman. All looks, no brains."

I felt my rage start to rise. If only he knew. How dare he talk to her like that?

"Don't move, buddy," one of the other men said.

I didn't respond, keeping my hands where the men could see. I didn't want to trigger any accidental attacks or cause anyone to do anything stupid.

Rosé gave me a last desperate look as the man pulled her out into the hallway. She looked so small next to them. The door began to close on them. When it was only opened a crack and was a split-second away from closing, I made my move.

I vaulted over the couch, moving faster than I should have, feeling the strain in my stitches and praying they would hold. I made it to the door right as it closed, my gun already in my hand. My next action would need to be taken very carefully. If I was too loud or too obvious, they would hear me right away. I had a feeling that the attackers were going to be sloppy and amateurish as they had been before. But what they lacked in skill, they more than made up for in sheer brutality.

Typical Americans.

I cracked the door, peeking out just the slightest bit to see that the man in the lead still had her by the shoulder and he was guiding her down the hallway. He was whispering something in her ear, no doubt a warning to not scream.