Chapter 38: The Finale Part 2

"Can you pass me that bowl?" Jennie asked me. It was the next day and I had gotten up early as I usually did. I was surprised to see that Jennie was awake. She typically loved to sleep in as late as possible. I knew how much she needed rest, more than most people.

I handed her the requested item. She flashed me a grateful smile and went back to her activities in the kitchen. It looked like she was making something for everyone else, but I hadn't asked what it was.

A few minutes went by before she looked back over at me. "I bet you're wondering why I'm awake."

I grinned. "Okay, you got me."

She laughed. "I knew it. It's just that I don't know how much longer we're going to be able to stay here together before things get crazy so I wanted to have a nice morning with everyone. Just something to remember it by."

Tour had been crazy, and of course, with the release of the album, things were only going to get crazier. I nodded. "They're going to really appreciate that."

Jennie danced around the kitchen as she continued to pull out her ingredients and tools. "And I'm lucky because they're all going to be sleeping in, so I have plenty of time."

"Enough time to enjoy some time outside before you start cooking?" I asked her.

She glanced out the window. The sun was up, but it hadn't made its way very high into the sky yet. It was a burnt orange, coloring the city in a spectacular display. "I really shouldn't," she said.

"Maybe not. But you might regret it if you don't. Think about the memories you won't have if you don't go out and sit with your friend for a little."

She laughed at my over-dramatic phrasing, but I could see in her eyes that she had made up her mind to agree with me. She poured us both a drink that I didn't recognize and followed me out to the back patio.

It had been a while since we had all sat out there together, and being with her reminded me of the past. Of sitting with the girls, listening to Rosé play guitar, listening to them harmonize with her. Things had been more complicated then, but also in a way, simpler too. Even still, I wouldn't have traded the progress I had made for anything in the world.

"Do you regret anything?" she asked me after we were seated and relaxing, admiring the sun.

"What do you mean?"

"Not about us or Jisoo... just about, well, you know. Leaving everything behind. I don't think you ever planned on that."

I smiled softly. "You're right. I didn't plan on it. I didn't even think it was possible. I had never even thought it, really. It just happened. After I met your four, things started to change. I didn't realize it at first, but over time, it all started to make sense. And eventually, I knew what I had to do."

"It wasn't me though," said Jennie thoughtfully. "It was Jisoo."

"That isn't true," I said. "Maybe she was the one that I fell in love with, but she wasn't the only one I bonded with. You all have become so important to me."

Jennie smiled, her face lighting up. "You're very kind," she said.

"Someone had to teach me that. And how to be loyal to my friends. You're the friend that I needed."

"You taught me something too," she said, looking up at the sky. "You taught me how to be strong."

I thought for a moment. "I don't think that's true. I think... you taught me."

She looked confused. "How? That doesn't..."

I turned to her so that my entire body was facing her. "Jennie, think about it. You've gone through so much. You go through more every single day. Even though you've been lucky, your life has still been so hard. You are fighting against your body constantly. You have to fight against your heart so that you can fulfill your obligations. You fight to support your members—and even me. So don't ever think that you aren't strong. Because it isn't true."

Her mouth opened slightly in a look of surprise, but she didn't say anything. I gathered my thoughts and kept going.