- Entry #15: Archmage Hugh Ritzmer {Part Two of Two} -

"Surrender now or next time, I won't miss," James warned Mikeal.

I heard Mikeal laugh. "So what Rodor said is true, you use to be a dark mage. No wonder you are regarded as a traitor and have such a high price on your head. I've always wondered why Rodor is so obsessed with you. Did he use to be your master before you turncoat?" he asked.

"He was, so what? I left that life behind decades ago, it doesn't matter to me anymore," James responded. 

Mikeal nods. "Yes, but you are still using dark magic, James. You haven't left that life behind, it is still there at the core of you," he said. I saw James's hands ball into fists before he chanted out another spell that I couldn't understand the words.

So, James was a dark mage? I didn't know that. But yet again, that isn't exactly my business. I trust him, so if he didn't want to tell me, I don't care. Though, I do wish he told us about the bounty on his head. That's serious.

I wince when a sharp pain went up my arm, making me clutch my forearm. What was that spell that Nyara used on Riley? Industria...Restituet, I think that was it. She used it on him when he couldn't get to his feet.

I put my hand on my chest. "I-Industria restituet," I chanted before I felt my energy come back. But it was just enough for me to be confident in standing. I force myself to sit up, groaning at the pain in my body before Violet grabbed me, looking worried.

"W-Wait, should you be—"

I give her a shy smile. "I-I think James can handle Mikeal," I said. Violet grabbed my arms.

"Can you walk now?"

I paused for a moment, thinking. "Well...not with confidence," I honestly said. I really need to look at the spellbook closer to see which spells consume the most energy because I haven't looked at that. In hindsight, that should have been something that I looked at first.

Violet puts my arm around her neck. "Come on, let's get you to Aslac," she said before she helps me to my feet.

I shake my head. "N-No, I'm fine. Just need to rest. Aslac is busy with the prince—"

"Seto, you have a hole in your arm," Violet said.

"I know, I can feel it after all. But it is nothing compared to my exhaustion," I complained.

"Seto!" Violet shouted

I flinched. "Okay fine! You win," I gave in. I almost allowed her to take me there until I saw James get knocked into the wall with Mikeal laughing. My eyes harden, watching the two. I gripped Violet's shoulder. Violet's arms hung around my waist, letting me lean into her for aid but it seems like James needs help.

Violet tugged on me, catching my attention before she spoke. "No, you can't. You are in no condition—"

"Then help me stay standing so I can cast spells," I told her making her frown at me. Well, she didn't like that. I closed my eyes, lifting my hand to have my palm force towards Mikeal. "Arkana interna streĉo." A purple mage circle appeared in front of us. Upon casting the spell, the spell that Mikeal was casting gets cut off. He coughs, grasping his hand in pain as he yells out. "Streĉo!" He falls to his knees. James gets up, firing his spell at Mikeal, the spell knocking Mikeal out cold. I lowered my hand, feeling a wave of exhaustion hit me.

I lean into Violet more, almost knocking us both to the ground but she was able to hold me up. "I shouldn't have let you do that," she said struggling to hold me.

I smiled a bit. "Agreed," I said.

"What did you do to him?" James asked as he looked at me.

I looked at him. "I a-added stress to his internal organs. Enough to render him immobile and hurt but not enough to kill him. I figured Chimney or Prince Lucilius would want that honor," I explained. James walks over to me, taking my free arm and putting it around his neck.