Chapter 10- Run

"Do we still have enough food?" I asks worriedly.

A month have passed after that incident happened, after I got stabbed in the stomach by a fox. We went out a couple of times even after that incident. They didn't allow me to go with them, of course. But I insisted. I wanted to contribute to the group as much as I can. I was lucky the cut wasn't too deep and it didn't hit any of my organs or anything that can cause my death. My wound is still in its process of healing. Good thing we didn't encounter any problems during the times we went out to scavenge. Aki expertly stitched my stab wound too. It does not hurt much now.

"That was the tenth time you've asked the same question today," Aki said, rolling his eyes.

"I was just checking, okay? We never know. What if–"

I was cut off by Christine. "Aika, babe, can you please tone down your voice? Cheska might wake up," I smiled sheepishly and mouthed 'sorry'. She's carrying Cheska, the baby we rescued, while rocking her. Ngumiti siya at sinabing ayos lang.

"Mas mahal ko na siya ngayon more than you. Ang bait naman pala ng bebe mo." I whispered at Aki, teasing. His eyes widened which made me smile more.

"W-what the!" Aki shouted and his mouth fell open. He must've not noticed that I knew he likes Christine.

"Aki!" It was Christine again. This time, she's giving Aki a death glare. I laughed so hard when Aki bowed his head, like a kid scolded by his mother.

I teased him even more causing him to walk out. I was laughing so hard when I went to stand beside Christine.

"You're so mean to your brother," she shook her head while I just laugh.

"He teases me a lot, too. We're siblings, it's normal," I shrugged. "Can I carry her?" I asks, whispering as if I can wake Cheska up if I make too much noise.

Oh, well, I was loud earlier.

"Sure," Napangiti ako habang inililipat niya si Cheska sa'kin. I slowly swayed like I'm dancing the moment I held her in my arms. "Oh, you know how to hold a baby already. Pwede na pala." She joked.

I learned to carry a baby because of Anne and Aris. It was me, Aki, and Aila who carry and take care of them whenever our parents are not around. Sadly, Aila only got to carry Anne. Hindi niya naranasang alagaan si Aris. Maging si mom din.

I laughed softly. "In this situation, and this world? No, thanks. I won't have a kid. I don't want to have a kid."

She smiled lightly and tapped my head. "Everything will be fine."

"I hope so. I sure hope so," I smiled back.

I hope she's right. That everything will be fine. That everything will go back as it was. We continued talking while I was still rocking Cheska who was peacefully sleeping in my arms.

"It's okay that I've been calling you Christine, right? I mean, I know you're older than me and I should call you ate, pero three years gap lang naman. You don't look so old, either." I said, laughing a little.

"Sure, why not? Christine lang din naman ang tawag sa'kin ni Aki." She said, smiling. I smirked and raise a brow at her. Her brows furrowed, her smile never leaving her face. She was smiling the whole time we were talking about Aki.

"What?" She laughed.

"Nothing," I told her in a singsong voice, teasing.

She just shook her head and laughed at my antics. I was just about to tease her one more time but then I was cut off by Dad who was running towards us.

"Pack your things! We need to go!" He said in a hurry.

I was immediately scared. My eyes widened and my heart started beating fast. The last time someone told us to pack our things, and that someone was Aki, it didn't turn out well.