Chapter 12- Forest 2.0

Chelsea and I lay on the grass for a few more minutes before I forced myself to sit up. Inilibot ko ang paningin ko sa paligid at napadako ang tingin ko sa mataas na banging binagsakan namin. Napadasal ako ng pasasalamat sa maraming santo na nagawa nila kaming iligtas mula sa pagkahulog sa mataas na bangin na 'yan.

"Are you okay, Chels? Are you in pain?" I asked her when I helped her stand up.

"Ayos lang, ate. Pero si kuya... tapos si Cheska..." She cried once again.

I knelt on one knee so we could be on the same level. I immediately wiped the tears on her eyes and cheeks.

I take back what I said earlier. Ligtas ang pamilya ko. Makakahanap sila ng ligtas na lugar at mananatili sila roon. They can survive. They will survive. They have to.

"We will find the others, okay? Cheska is with ate Christine. We'll find and get them. Stop crying, all right? Kailangan nating maging strong para mahanap natin sila." I mumbled softly while fixing and tucking the loose strands of hair behind her ear.

She nodded and wiped her tears using her small hands. She forced herself to smile so I tried to smile back.

I groaned when my stab wound hurt when I tried standing up. I slowly stood up with the help of Chelsea and exhale harshly. Kailangan kong tiisin 'to. I shouldn't let this stop me from keeping Chelsea safe.

We started walking again. It was so quiet. I couldn't hear any groans anymore. Our footsteps, the sound of rustling trees, and our heavy breaths are the only thing we can hear. Siguro dahil na rin sa malayo-layo na kami sa main road. Kung may mga fox man dito ay iilan na lamang siguro.

Naglakad lang kami nang naglakad. Wala kaming patutunguhan o destinasyon. Ang importante lamang ay kahit papaano'y makalayo kami mula sa masasakit na nangyari kanina. Madilim pa rin ang kapaligiran dahil madaling araw pa. The darkness scares me, most especially the things that could be lurking in it.

Ang tanging naaaninag ko lamang ay ang pigura ni Chelsea at maging ang anino ng mga matataas na kahoy sa paligid. Sobrang sensitibo ngayon ng paningin at pandinig ko na sa simpleng pagtunog ng mga sanga at dahong naaapakan natin ay natatakot ako.

Paranoid, I know.

A few minutes later I sighed and decided to stop walking for a while. We're just walking in circles. Nasaan na ba kami? Asan na ba ang mga kasamahan namin? Pinili ko na lamang ulit na harapin at asikasuhin si Chelsea.

"Let's just sleep here for tonight, Chelsea. Let's wait for the sun to rise." I said, panting. My whole body's in pain, especially my stomach. Pakiramdam ko tuloy ay para akong sumali sa hazing.

Fuck that cliff.

I felt Chelsea's grip on my shirt tightened. She roamed her eyes around before looking at me. "What if those monsters will come at us again, ate? Are they gonna hurt us? Gano'n na rin ba si kuya ko?"

She was trembling while she was standing beside me, while I was sitting beside her. I held both of her hands tight, and carefully pulled her to sit next to me. "It's okay. I'm here."

Suddenly, the cold came. I was about to stand up and find some dry logs so I could make a fire but remembered that I was wearing my backpack where my clothes are. I was wearing it all this time!

"Oh shoot!"

I was so scared earlier that I forgot that my backpack was with me all this time. We can use my things here to feel less cold. Even my radio's here!

I quickly gave Chelsea my clothes and also put them on her so she wouldn't get cold. I was relieved to see that there was also a beanie in my bag. I put it on Chelsea and even covered her ears with it. Then, I hurriedly turn on the radio. Hindi naman nagtagal ay narinig ko na naman ang mga boses na palagi kong naririnig gabi-gabi. Clearer this time.