Chapter 18

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Dawn walked into the Entrance Hall. Following the crowd to the Great Hall where they would have to watch the Sorting of the first-years and to have a feast.

"Potter! Granger! Myrrdin! I want to see you three!" The three of them turned to see Professor McGonagall calling for them. Her stern face caused the quartet to look worriedly at each other. "There's no need to look so worried - I just want a word in my office," she assured them. "Move along there, Weasley."

Dawn saw Ron shrug and followed the crowd into the Great Hall where he would have to watch the Sorting Ceremony on his own. The trio walked with McGonagall into her office. 

"Professor Lupin sent an owl ahead to say that you were taken ill on the train, Potter," McGonagall said rather abruptly.

Before Harry was able to come up with a response, there was a knock on the door and Madam Pomfrey quickly entered the office. Harry couldn't help but feel embarrassed by the entire situation.

"I'm fine," Harry said. "I don't need anything-"
"Oh it's you, is it? I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?" Madam Pomfrey said as she leaned down to stare closely at him.
"It was a Dementor, Poppy," McGonagall explained.

Madam Pomfrey shook her head disapprovingly. "Setting Dementors around a school," she muttered as she felt Harry's forehead. "He won't be the first one who collapses. Yes, he's all clammy. Terrible things, they are, and the effect they have on people who are already delicate-"
"I'm not delicate," Harry said crossly.
"Of course you're not," Madam Pomfrey replied absent-mindedly as she went ahead to take his pulse.

"What does he need? Bed rest? Should he perhaps spend tonight in the hospital wing?" Asked McGonagall.
"I'm fine!" Harry exclaimed as he jumped up. He didn't want to imagine what Draco Malfoy would say if he found out that Harry spent a night in the hospital wing.
"Well, he should have some chocolate, at the very least," Madam Pomfrey said.
"I've already had some," Harry said quickly. "Professor Lupin gave me some. He gave it to all of us."
"Did he, now?" Madam Pomfrey said approvingly. "So we've finally got a Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies."

"Are you sure you feel all right, Potter?" asked McGonagall sharply.
"Yes," Harry said.
"Very well. Kindly wait outside while I have a quick word with Miss Granger and Miss Myrddin about their timetables, then we can go down to the feast together."

Harry nodded and left the room, leaving Dawn and Hermione alone with Professor McGonagall. He only had to wait a few minutes; then Hermione and Dawn emerged looking excited, followed by Professor McGonagall. Then the four of them made their way back to the Great Hall.

When they got to the Great Hall, it seemed as if the Sorting was already finished. McGonagall walked away from the trio to sit at her empty seat at the staff table. Harry, Dawn, and Hermione went to the Gryffindor table as quietly as they could. Harry sat between Ron and Dawn while Hermione sat on the other side of Ron.

"What was all that about?" Ron asked his friends.

Before Harry could explain, Dumbledore stood up to speak to the entire student body.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts!" Dumbledore greeted the school. "Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J Lupin. Who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, Professor."

Lupin stood up from his spot at the staff's table and gave a small awkward bow. The applause was scattered, some unenthusiastic. But those who were in the compartment with the teacher clapped hard.