Chapter 02

The first-years stood in front of the large double doors leading to the Great Hall. Professor McGonagall dress in emerald-green robes stood waiting for all the first-years to file in. Ron, Harry, and Dawn were standing directly in front of her.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses," Professor McGonagall explained. "They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. While you're here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you points, any rule-breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup."
"TREVOR!" A voice yelled out. A first-year quickly grabbed the toad that was sitting at the top of the stairs. "Sorry." His voice was a lot smaller as he went back to his spot from before.
"The Sorting Ceremony will begin momentarily," she said before heading into the Great Hall.

Harry turned to Dawn, who was standing between Ron and Harry. "How do you think we'll be sorted?"
"Some sort of test, I think," Ron answered.
"What?" Dawn was very confused.
"Fred said it hurts a lot but I think he was joking."

Dawn couldn't help but let out a giggle. She knew exactly how the sorting ceremony was going to work. Her parents and Devin explained it to her, but she didn't want to ruin Fred's fun so she just kept quiet.

"So it's true then. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts."

Harry and Dawn turned their attention to the boy who spoke up. He had silver-blonde hair and a pale complexion.

"This is Crabbe and Goyle." He motioned to the two boys behind him standing as if they were his bodyguards. "And I'm Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

Malfoy moved to stand in front of Harry. Ron smirked a little too loudly causing Malfoy to snap his head towards Ron.

"You think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red Hair and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley." His words had venom in them.
"That wasn't nice," Dawn said frowning.

Malfoy looked at Dawn. He flinched, he was captivated by her eyes. "And who might you be?" Malfoy asked.
"Does it matter?" Dawn asked raising her eyebrow.
Malfoy smirked and turned back to Harry. "You'll soon find that there are some wizarding families that better than others. You don't want to be going around making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there." Malfoy extended his hand awaiting a handshake from Harry.
"I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks," Harry said cooly.

Professor McGonagall came back and tapped Malfoy on the shoulder. He quickly moved back to where he was standing before. "We're ready for you now."

Professor McGonagall opened the large double doors and led the students into the Great Hall. The Great Hall was lit by hundreds of candles which were floating in midair over four long tables. The ceiling looked like the night sky as if there was no ceiling at all. At the top of the Hall, there was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Professor McGonagall led the first-years up to the front.

"Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words."

Professor Dumbledore stood up from his place in the middle of the teacher's table and looked out at the students.

"I have a few start-of-term notices I would like to announce. The first-years, please note the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Flich, has asked me to remind you that the third-floor corridor on the right-hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." After his announcement, Dumbledore sat back down in his chair.